Why become a member? ×

Wiring a Peavey 410TVX to 2-ohms?

ben604

Hello, I've got a 410TVX 8-ohm cab and I want to wire it to 2 ohms to use with my Ampeg SVT-II-Pro head. I know i've got to wire it parallel but I'm a bit nervous doing it without advice!! Does the tweeter make any difference? Any advice would be appreciated!!

Cheers,
Ben.

[quote name='ben604' post='346163' date='Dec 5 2008, 09:45 AM']...I cant afford another cab till January at the earliest.[/quote]

I think you might have your answer there. The SVTII-Pro will give you 300W @ 2 or 4ohms, no more, no less, so effectively you'd be wasting your time. It's a great head though and I wish I had an excuse to use one :)

[quote name='ben604' post='346163' date='Dec 5 2008, 09:45 AM']I've got an Ampeg SVT-II-Pro and no money, the head wont run at 8-ohms and I cant afford another cab till January at the earliest.[/quote]

Not so. A head with a 4 Ohm minimum load can't run at any less than 4 Ohms without causing damage. There's nothing to stop it running at 8 or even 16 POhms - you'll just get less output.

I would advise against re-wiring a cab for 2 Ohms. Even if your amp supports 2 Ohms,you are running it at the very limit of it's ability and I reckon you'll shorten the life of the valves and output transformer.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='347400' date='Dec 6 2008, 06:35 PM']Not so. A head with a 4 Ohm minimum load can't run at any less than 4 Ohms without causing damage. There's nothing to stop it running at 8 or even 16 POhms - you'll just get less output.

I would advise against re-wiring a cab for 2 Ohms. Even if your amp supports 2 Ohms,you are running it at the very limit of it's ability and I reckon you'll shorten the life of the valves and output transformer.[/quote]

Not true AFAIK.

It's a valve amp, and the tap should always be matched to the speakers impedance. Running it at a much higher impedance is not a great idea. As benwhite suggests, it will always give 300w at 4 or 2 ohms - that's what the output transformer is for.

And you can't use the cab with the head unless you rewire the cab. Presume its 8 ohm speakers speakers that are paired in seiries and the pairs wired in parallel. So what you need to do is rewire the pairs in parallel so you get your 2 ohms. There is some info on the basschat wiki about wiring drivers.

Never understood why Ampeg dont have a 8 ohm tap. To make you buy their cabs I suppose. IIRC my old Hiwatt had 4, 8 and 16.

Thanks for the input guys, I did rewire the cab to 2-ohms and it worked fine (at my first ever gig...!, although it didnt have the oompf I'd hoped for/expected... I think I'll rewire it back and buy another cheap 8-ohm 410 or 15 or sell it and save some pennies for a 410HLF/810e.