Why become a member? ×

Ohm 6x10 restoration

Mr. Foxen

JHK just kindly dropped this round my flat this afternoon. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18915&hl="]Original thread[/url]

[Blatantly stolen photo]

It indeed matches the Ohm head I have. I hoovered the loose stuff off of it and cautiously plugged in, see if it makes sound. It does indeed, pretty cutting treble, seemed to agree well with the head, fairly punch slap sorta sound, kind I'd sort of associate with Trace Elliot and someone who can actually play slap. Thisproduced a fall of white dust, so cleaning time.

Heres where the problem is, levered off a cover hoover and a soft brush got rid of the white stuff, tried to put cover back and it springs itself into the surround of the cone and wrecks it. Not careful enough. Swearing etc. Move to next one and the surround has attached itself to the cover and chunks of it have come off with it. So its going to be a replace speakers sort of job, not unexpected, not the outcome I was hoping for as soon as it turned out to make noise. Any tips on replacing reconing speakers? They aren't round at the edges and sit in recesses, so might be a pain there. I've mailed the company mentioned in previous thread. Also, how do you make 4 ohm out of 6 8 ohm speakers? Is it creative rounding?

Got some info from company that made the speakers. The covers are epoxied to the speakers so there is not way to remove them without destruction. Also gave me estimate for reconing. Was hoping there would be a bunch of time I could invest and not so much money. Am waiting on reply from local speaker reconing dude, see if I can save post. The white fur is on the inside also, gonna be a hoover out. Anyone have clues how this is wired? Before I take it apart to make notes.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='345870' date='Dec 4 2008, 08:19 PM']Got some info from company that made the speakers. The covers are epoxied to the speakers so there is not way to remove them without destruction.[/quote]

I've done a 10" and a 15" and had no problems removing and replacing the grilles. So it can be done with some care, although I might have been lucky. Both items are now with two different Basschatters, who I am sure will confirm that they look and work fine. What I'm saying is that the information you have been given is not quite accurate and you shouldn't give up.

You should be able to re-glue the first surround if it's just a small rip. I'd carry on doing the others to see what the overall damage is and how many drivers you will have to recone/replace.

The only other drivers I know with that shape are the Volt cast chassis ones - and they might not be exactly the same size. They are pretty pricy though.

How much do Tayden want for a recone?

I notice those plastic handles have broken in the usual place.

The plastic handles look broke but aren't, there is a bar in the hole to hold on to. Awkward, but there. There is basically no clearnce between edge of grill and edge of cone so the more generously expoxied are goners, and I'm pretty sure they have suffered from the damp and mould (not just dust as its all over the inside also) as they are like tissue, softer than old hifi surrounds I dealt with before. Really best replacing all in one go, shiney new and skanky old just aren't going to match. Plus I just got a message back from dude at place, and he quotes:
[quote]I don't have any info on these specific units judging from the pics this would have been built at a time when Taydens were being built in the OHM factory (they had their own area away from the woodworking) and as such they would have been built to OHM specs Tayden has always built to customers specs rather than having a retail selection for general release which is why you never see these advertised in magazines this is something we continue to do today we build to customers specs for a variety of amp manufacturers in England and abroad
were you to get all six done we could do these for £25.00 each plus £20.00 total p/p plus VAT you may consider this the better option rather than a s/h cab which may have similar problems with duff speakers you may wish to phone to discuss (07860 274995) what wattage is your amp also were you to send pics of one of the drivers so we could see the magnet size we could get an idea if they were suitable for your setup[/quote]

The fun part is explaining what I plan to do with the biamping and the sillyness of our 'sound'. The additional point is I have a matching SS head, so as a pair I'd guess the resale value would be better, but I don't plan on using that amp for Caricatures, as driven valves are our thing.

Still waiting on info about local reconing sort who might be able to do something, but the original manfucaturer and tweaked spec appeals.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='346659' date='Dec 5 2008, 05:25 PM']Right now I can't afford anything. Problem with modern drivers is the chassis is a different shape and won't sit in the recess, so it would be fairly major surgery. Considering moving this on now its been diagnosed.[/quote]

Well if you ever get up to the North-East, you could consider moving it in my direction. I don't mind undertaking a bit of Major Surgery. :) :huh:

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='346514' date='Dec 5 2008, 03:24 PM'][url="http://www.wembleyloudspeaker.com/page-products-repair.shtml"]Wembley speakers[/url] can help you out on the repairs

They repaired some SWR drivers for me some time ago

Dave[/quote]
+1 for wembley loudspeakers