Why become a member? ×

Overdrive

guzzibass

[quote name='guzzibass' post='344744' date='Dec 3 2008, 08:51 PM']God knows. I see some peeps use a Marshall Guvnor - are they any good?[/quote]

They are awesome, the original black ones at least. Also, can replace 2 caps and make them even more awesome (credit to Umph for this suggestion). They lose some bass, unless you make this change, but the eq can kind of compensate, I'm talking about losing some of the absolute bottom when tuned down to A. Also,might be selling one of mine, don't want to though

At least give us a price range, i hear the Digitech Bad Monkey is pretty awesome, and you can get that for around £30, (or you could get a Humphrey Mods Badder Bass Monkey from the states), or you can shell out £150-ish and get a Tech21 VTbass.

I had a black Marshall Guv'nor, tried it for about 15mins then sold it, couldnt get any low-end out of it, did kinda sound like I was playing through a Marshall guitar head tho, also they're discontinued now so they get more expensive all the time, it might be worth trying the new one and adding a clean blend. I reckon the new one could be just as good as the old one, but Tim Commerford used the black one, so thats what alot of bass players go for.

I also have owned two EHX English Muff'n's, they are awesome, but personally i found they lost too much low/low-mids to be heard in a mix, but it really was like playing through a Marshall tube amp, and sounded fantastic. I've since sold both, but wouldnt say no to a new one, now that i can blend in some clean low-end with my LS2.

[quote name='Dosi Y'Anarchy' post='345581' date='Dec 4 2008, 03:53 PM']At least give us a price range, i hear the Digitech Bad Monkey is pretty awesome, and you can get that for around £30, (or you could get a Humphrey Mods Badder Bass Monkey from the states), or you can shell out £150-ish and get a Tech21 VTbass.

I had a black Marshall Guv'nor, tried it for about 15mins then sold it, couldnt get any low-end out of it, did kinda sound like I was playing through a Marshall guitar head tho, also they're discontinued now so they get more expensive all the time, it might be worth trying the new one and adding a clean blend. I reckon the new one could be just as good as the old one, but Tim Commerford used the black one, so thats what alot of bass players go for.

I also have owned two EHX English Muff'n's, they are awesome, but personally i found they lost too much low/low-mids to be heard in a mix, but it really was like playing through a Marshall tube amp, and sounded fantastic. I've since sold both, but wouldnt say no to a new one, now that i can blend in some clean low-end with my LS2.[/quote]

I used a black Guvnor with a LS2 for the droney parts in most of the recordings on our myspace. Might do same again, its only 2 capacitors to put some serious bass capability into a Guvnor though, guess they made it like that to stop guitar being muddy.

i like the Bad Monkey if you want a basic overdrive sound and dont wanna spend too much.

if you are willing to commit on spending on Fuzz/OD pedals... maybe you could get the wooly mammoth?

as for me, i want to get a wooly mammoth, but ive had enough of bass dirt... they really dont do anything much and would just bury you in the mix. having said that, the wooly mammoth is probably my last fuzz and i can always use it on guitar for those smashing pumpkins stuff ... thats the back up plan :)

anyway, what sound are you going for?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='344969' date='Dec 4 2008, 12:01 AM']They are awesome, the original black ones at least. Also, can replace 2 caps and make them even more awesome (credit to Umph for this suggestion). They lose some bass, unless you make this change, but the eq can kind of compensate, I'm talking about losing some of the absolute bottom when tuned down to A. Also,might be selling one of mine, don't want to though[/quote]

Have you got details of that mod?

I used to use a Guvnor with my Rick and loved it, but found when I started using a Status I lost some bottom end. I've used a Nobels Bass Overdrive since which to my ears sounds great, but the build quality is so shoddy I'd have hard time recommending it.