Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bernard Edwards: Chic/ Sister Sledge, Live at the Budokan.

Fionn

Wow ...

Just watched the Chic/ Sister Sledge performance at the Budokan, Tokyo. April 17th, 1996.

STUNNING playing and superlative tone, from the fantastic Bernard Edwards. Great concert really. 

Something notable of that event ...

During the performance, Bernard wasn’t feeling so well, even saying ‘I’ve got a touch of the Tokyo Flu, but I’m still here’ ...

It was in the early hours of the morning, after that very show, that he died in his hotel room. The cause was pneumonia. If he’d gone to see a doctor, a simple treatment would have prevented the tragedy.

If you’re a fan of The Nard, this is something I’d recommend watching. It’s emotive too, given the circumstances. 

What a great player, and such a terrible loss.

RIP Bernard

5B14A21C-75D4-4CCC-84C9-C8F06A606C13.jpeg.ce2b59c665ed647130f8f9d125f3deb0.jpeg

Edited by Fionn
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 3

Extremely sad circumstances but as a fan of Bernard Edwards since he first emerged in the mid 70s, and probably my biggest influence at that time, I find his groove on this, and bass sound is just great - just like it was from the 70s. I have the album of this and love it. And of course, the guy was directly responsible for me buying a Stingray in the first place. I still love that fat and thumpy sound.