Why become a member? ×

Keys for beginner.

solo4652

My other half is interested in starting to play keys. She has no previous experience of playing keys or, indeed, any musical instrument. I'd like to buy her a good starter keyboard, but I know nothing of such things. Needs to be lightweight, portable, access to on-line lessons, good piano tone, not over-laden with voices, knobs and switches. Budget = £100. Casio CTK 1500?? Seems to get good user reviews as a beginner's instrument. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7929799?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59156|acid:444-797-0832|cid:598623051|agid:28645154725|tid:aud-484139255981:pla-397574480560|crid:96089428405|nw:g|rnd:11997902212473576774|dvc:c|adp:1o2|mt:|loc:1006740&gclid=CjwKCAiA0ajgBRA4EiwA9gFOR_dDPWzDFQ1vVQRrXekyGqNQNO9_mMcZyYOsXp_hj8Rg3exA_9BAdhoCtq8QAvD_BwE

All suggestions gratefully received. Thank you.

One of the common problems with budget keyboards is that the keys aren't pressure sensitive, which means that you can't control the dynamics by playing hard or soft. From what I can see of the Casio you've linked above, it suffers from this shortcoming.

I've got a Yamaha PSR-E363 which is a bit above your budget but I can heartily endorse it as good value for money.

S.P.

If you're starting out (and an adult - ie not too small hands) I'd strongly recommend starting with a proper weighted, full size keyboard and economising in other areas. 

£100 isn't a lot for new, but could probably pick something up secondhand. 

If you can deal with the logistical issues, an actual piano - as in, acoustic - would make sense, there are always some going cheap/free on eBay, gumtree, freecycle etc since they are sizeable and people's circumstances change, etc. Obviously it would be collection only but I guess a "man with a van" or hiring a taillift would be options.

• 2 weeks later...