Why become a member? ×

Body transplant - a good idea?

knirirr

I bought an unlined fretless Jazz here recently which is just the sort of thing I'm after as far as playing goes, but I'm not particularly keen on the white body. If it had a natural wood finish I could get on with playing it rather than obsessing about the colour: Options:

- Sell it and buy one with the right finish: An expensive custom one would be the only option, and I'd lose money on the sale. Anyway, the current bass  sounds good and is nice to play.
- Sand the body down: I'm not certain that the wood underneath is suitable and it would need filling in places anyway (socket and active electronics compartment I won't be using).
- Replace the body?

I've seen some good bodies on sale at affordable prices e.g. on Ebay.  Taking all the parts off and replacing them, such as after a respray, is within my capabilities (though my soldering might be a bit rusty) but drilling holes accurately on a new body isn't, so I'd have to pay someone to do the work, assuming someone willing could be found. Anyone have a rough idea of cost?

Also, the length of the neck pocket on the bodies listed for sale often seems shorter than the one I've got, e.g. 7.5 instead of 10cm. Does anyone know how much of a problem fitting a the neck on a new body is likely to be, i.e. would someone with the proper skills be able to manage it assuming the body wasn't something totally odd?

IMG_1323.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

6 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

As you're Oxford based, it might be worth having a word with Dave Smart (Smart guitars). There isn't much he doesn't know about everything bas & guitar, and he is a damn good bloke as well.

Thanks, a good suggestion. I did go to him for a setup on my other bass, and he did an excellent job.