Why become a member? ×

NAME THAT DISORDER

grandad

On 26/11/2018 at 08:44, WHUFC BASS said:

IMO The Shadows were absolutely amazing and Hank Marvin was truly inspirational to a generation of guitarists, among whom Eric Clapton, Tony Iommi, Andy Summers, Syd Barrett, George Harrison, David Gilmour, Brian May, Mark Knopfler, Peter Frampton, Steve Howe, Roy Wood,Pete Townshend, Ritchie Blackmore and Jeff Beck all cite him as an influence. Now I don't know about you, but I reckon if someone can influence a list of influential guitarists like that, they must be doing something right.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of guitarists who try to emulate Hank Marvin's sound too.

Oh, and his name is also a phrase used to tell everyone how hungry you are. Now if that isn't a legacy to live up to, then nothing is!

A couple of years ago, Radio 2 did a feature where they asked various musicians what their favourite guitar riff was. Hank Marvin said Jimmy Page's riff in Black Dog. Respect! I'm sure Hank was an inspiration to Jimmy as well! 

I haven't been to see Tull for a few years now. A mate of mine and me used to go to most of the tours since the mid 80's. Even that far back Ian Anderson had suffered vocal issues but seemed to find a way round it. However by the time Martin Barre left a few years back we were looking at each other at the end of gigs and saying 'this is getting embarassing now, think its perhaps time to stay home'. I'm sure IA still gets a kick out of performing and as long as there is some sort of audience he's entitled to do so but when it gets to the point you are taking an additional vocalist on stage the writing's on the wall. Whitesnake went the same way, the last couple of times I saw them you were hearing the backing band singing as much in the mix as Coverdale's pale shadow of the voice he once had. Time waits for no man but it's inevitably crueller on singers on the whole. 

• Like 1