Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB414 - how similar to a P bass?

OldGit

So ......
in my search for a beater Japanese Fender P bass for reasonable money (got one? PM me)! I've found a Yam BB414 for sale within my budget.
So the question is how close are these to P bases in terms of neck feel and sound?

Anyone in a position to compare the two?
Thanks

[quote name='Machines' post='341768' date='Dec 1 2008, 11:51 AM']I had a BB614. The neck is about half way between a Jazz and a Precision. Soundwise the neck pickup does the business on the BB and can do a nice fat thump without any issue. For the money you can't really go wrong.[/quote]

Thanks, helpful stuff ...

The neck on my BB414 was one of the most comfortable necks I've ever played and was the primary reason I bought one. A flatter profile than my Japanese P-bass and slightly narrower at the nut, somewhere between a Jazz and a P.
The neck pick-up produces a decent Precision-like-bark, a little darker and with a higher output than my P. Unusually for basses with this pick-up configuration, the bridge pick-up sounds good soloed and even better when used with the neck pick-up.

The finish on both my BB414's, like most Yamaha's were flawless. The only problem I encountered was the rather fragile pick-up selector switch, which broke on both of my basses. A better quality switch is readily available from eBay for a few pounds and is an easy fit....or you can do what I did and that is to replace the switch with a blend pot and wire the bass rather like a Fender Jazz...Vol, Vol, Tone.

All-in-all a superb bass for the money and would still be great value at twice it's price....recommended :)

....and if you decide to pass on it, I'd appreciate a chance to grab it for myself as I'd like another to go alongside the BB415 and BB1500a I now own....thanks

[quote name='Machines' post='342262' date='Dec 1 2008, 07:12 PM']I like it - offering to buy a bass that he hasn't bought himself yet :).[/quote]

Thanks Bassman that's rather reassuring as it does mean I have a get out of jail card should I get it but not like it.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='342205' date='Dec 1 2008, 06:36 PM']I did a stone and set up on one for a student and when I put the new strings on, it sounded brilliant.
Dead solid, great neck and parts, lovely deep tone, if I find a lefty, I'd like one, well impressed.[/quote]

Your wish is granted, Steve ....
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280290439931&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123"]Lefty BB414 on eBay [/url]

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='342379' date='Dec 1 2008, 09:13 PM']As said earlier in the thread, the BB614 is excellent. I bought a lovely one from King Tut the other week & I've just set it up on light strings & sold it to a pupil. Where else do you get this kind of quality with three-band active eq for this kind of money??

Rich.[/quote]

There's a BB614 on ebay at the mo, 100 quid with one day to go but the listing doesn't inspire confidence .. Several "scammer" trademarks...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-BB614-BASS-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ320321359158QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item320321359158&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]BB614, possible rip off listing eBay[/url]

I've got some TI flats on my BB414 and it does a pretty good imitation of a P. The neck isn't the slimmest but it's comfortable enough.

The pickup switch[b] is[/b] exposed, it always snags on the gigbag and one day it's going to break.

If you can, get an orange one :blush:

[quote name='OldGit' post='342407' date='Dec 1 2008, 09:34 PM']There's a BB614 on ebay at the mo, 100 quid with one day to go but the listing doesn't inspire confidence .. Several "scammer" trademarks...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-BB614-BASS-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ320321359158QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item320321359158&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]BB614, possible rip off listing eBay[/url][/quote]

I want to start using ebay but I'm worried about being scammed - how can you tell? What are the trademarks?

Edited by King Tut

[quote name='King Tut' post='342511' date='Dec 1 2008, 11:09 PM']I want to start using ebay but I'm worried about being scammed - how can you tell? What are the trademarks?[/quote]

Well in that case I'd be wary 'cos it's got stock pictures from a website rather than the actual instrument itself, the seller only has 3 feedbacks and the description is terse in the extreme. (oh and cos it's a London based person :) )

However all is not lost as the seller does offer cash on collection. That's on the plus side.
I'd be asking for pictures of the actual instrument, then for pictures of specific bits of the bass to prove they actually have it, serial number etc.

It may be Ok but I'd be wary of buying it unseen. The seller has little to loose as they have no huge feedback history.

[quote name='OldGit' post='342534' date='Dec 1 2008, 11:37 PM']I'd be asking for pictures of the actual instrument, then for pictures of specific bits of the bass to prove they actually have it, serial number etc.[/quote]

I asked him to add some pictures of the real instrument and he's obliged ..
Looking less dodgy now..

[quote name='spinynorman' post='343053' date='Dec 2 2008, 02:42 PM']So is that what this guy plays? (EDIT: Answered my own question, it's a BB3005. What's the difference?)

[url="http://www.scottspray.com/"]http://www.scottspray.com/[/url][/quote]

er gold bits?

I've already got that hat :)