Why become a member? ×

Courier for shipping expensive basses internationally

dyerseve

21 hours ago, ambient said:

It’s probably best to book direct with the courier rather than through an intermediary. DPD are very good as are FedEx and UPS. My Modulus came from the States via Fedex.

thanks for the advice. unfortunately, having read their t+c's they only offer £100 compensation for damage but will happily charge you a small fortune to insure it nonetheless!

anyone else have any ideas? surely I cant be the only person in this situation???

21 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I think it’s UPS and it ain’t cheap!

One tuning peg including shipping was $85.

And UPS have the clause in their shipping cover that limits compensation for damage to £100 and lost in transit to £2000. 

Not much good when you're trying to ship a Ritter FFS!!!

The problem is quite simple, almost all couriers shipping FROM the UK to any foreign country will only cover your musical instrument for £100 GBP and not any higher (read carefully the T&C). And don't forget to remove any battery as it will void the insurance.

The best option would be to deliver it yourself. I know, I know.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

The problem is quite simple, almost all couriers shipping FROM the UK to any foreign country will only cover your musical instrument for £100 GBP and not any higher (read carefully the T&C). And don't forget to remove any battery as it will void the insurance.

The best option would be to deliver it yourself. I know, I know.

Argggh what a stupid scenario! I will have to see if there are third party companies who offer cover for such situations.

Right, finally got this sorted after much phoning around! So basically the only option, should you find yourself in this situation, is to use a third party insurance provider to provide transit cover.

There are a few of these companies about but seemingly only one that will cover goods in transit from one private individual to another. The company is called theinsurancebroker.com

Tò give you an idea of the cost, for £4000 of coverage shipping to Europe, it's £65. For the rest of the world, £93.

Not cheap I know but actually not too bad when you consider the alternative...

Hopefully this post will prove helpful - I just wonder how many people are shipping their basses from the UK not knowing they are not even covered by most couriers insurance???

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dyerseve said:

Right, finally got this sorted after much phoning around! So basically the only option, should you find yourself in this situation, is to use a third party insurance provider to provide transit cover.

There are a few of these companies about but seemingly only one that will cover goods in transit from one private individual to another. The company is called theinsurancebroker.com

Tò give you an idea of the cost, for £4000 of coverage shipping to Europe, it's £65. For the rest of the world, £93.

Not cheap I know but actually not too bad when you consider the alternative...

Hopefully this post will prove helpful - I just wonder how many people are shipping their basses from the UK not knowing they are not even covered by most couriers insurance???

Just going through this also D. Part of the reason I generally won’t do an overseas transaction. In the end agreed the buyer would arrange own courier and accept responsibility.