Why become a member? ×

Funny Old World

stewblack

I have a few projects either on the boil, simmering or going cold. Spreading myself as widely as possible to get as much work as I can. 

One of the projects has great musicianship, an excellent set, good marketing angles but has managed just one gig in the year it's been going. Slothful isn't the word.

On the other hand I met some folk at an open mic night and we keep getting paid and asked back at a variety of venues. And we've never rehearsed. We jam out songs for a couple of hours and invite local musicians to join in as and when they feel like it. When it works it's really cool, at the very worst it's relaxed, and maybe a little loose!

Weird how all the hours of rehearsal with a band which ticks all the boxes gets nowhere and a ramshackle throw together with zero work is awesome and earning a few quid. These jams/gigs have all been on a Thursday evening or Sunday lunchtime too, thus not interfering with the holy Friday and Saturday nights.

Funny old world innit?

Tis indeed. In this age of the internet I've discovered that just getting out there and playing with a smile on your face can get you as much work as having a slick website, flash video and a nice suit.

Our drummer and keys player both refuse to lower themselves to play pubs yet the singer's other band play good time soul music to anyone who will listen, guess which band hasn't played since November 4th last year and which band plays most weekends?

Not frustrated at all😡

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stewblack said:

I have a few projects either on the boil, simmering or going cold. Spreading myself as widely as possible to get as much work as I can. 

One of the projects has great musicianship, an excellent set, good marketing angles but has managed just one gig in the year it's been going. Slothful isn't the word.

On the other hand I met some folk at an open mic night and we keep getting paid and asked back at a variety of venues. And we've never rehearsed. We jam out songs for a couple of hours and invite local musicians to join in as and when they feel like it. When it works it's really cool, at the very worst it's relaxed, and maybe a little loose!

Weird how all the hours of rehearsal with a band which ticks all the boxes gets nowhere and a ramshackle throw together with zero work is awesome and earning a few quid. These jams/gigs have all been on a Thursday evening or Sunday lunchtime too, thus not interfering with the holy Friday and Saturday nights.

Funny old world innit?

I used to get together with an acoustic guitarist and just pick something on the night and jam it up in the corridor first

It had a freshness to it