Why become a member? ×

Aria Pro II SR-900

anzoid

Interesting. It looks like an early (batwing headstock) SB900, with some unspecified mods. No such thing as an SR900, btw.

The original SB900 was passive, seller claims this is active so maybe has had circuitry installed. Not 100% sure about controls for an early 900 (they were changed later) but I think this should be v/v/t, 3-way rotary selector,  plus coil switch for each pickup. So no idea what's going on here! The bridge pickup's a replacement - it is an Aria unit but not correct for this bass.

Anyway this is what it should look like:

dsc04747-jpg.1134049

Intact examples of early SBs aren't very common but I'm inclined to think this is a bit overpriced for a bass with a number of unspecified mods. Putting it back to stock would be borderline impossible - while (costly) repro pickups are available, the knobs used on these simply don't exist anywhere other than on other basses - I've been looking for a pair for an SB-Elite for four years!

With this one, I'd want a very close hands-on look at it, and the seller would have to be prepared to be haggled at, hard!

From the looks of it the second, lower coil switch has been swapped out for the small pot (hole widened perhaps...) and the other knobs are a bit of a mixture. Initially thought the plastic knobs might be EMG but on looking further... nah, they're not :) And the metal ones (as you mentioned) don't look like the ones in your photo either... shame, could have been a nice bass for someone, but I guess at least half the appeal of a vintage Aria is that it's correct!! I suppose if you were happy with the mods, got a better price to reflect those mods... might be worth it.