Why become a member? ×

How not to be a numpty

Bridgehouse

Upgraded the Shuker Fretless today.

Nordstrand NJ4SE Pickup bought. Also decided that the old preamp in it was probably a bit long in the tooth and adding to the general hum, hiss and crackle and bought a shiny new Delano Sonar 3 to slap in. Also decided to go 18v for extra headroom and so forth. 

Spent all afternoon ripping out the old and putting the new in. After my travails, I plug in - and get nothing at all. Nowt. Nada. Nyet. Zip. 

Long story short - here are three ways not to be a numpty:

- When installing another preamp with a graph tech ghost piezo system, always use the AUX PWR out from the ghost board and don't splice the power line from the battery to power your new posh preamp.. 

- String up your bass after install, as it turns out that modern preamps are super quiet - lack of noise before moving strings does not mean you have wired it like a numpty. Not putting the strings on to check does make you a numpty.

- When going from 9v to 18v you need a second battery. ALWAYS CHECK THIS IS NOT DEAD. As you look like a proper numpty when the missus asks if you've tried another battery "in case the one you got out of the kitchen drawer which has been there 3 years is dead"

Sigh. However, it's now a super quiet hum and buzz free bass with nearly no hiss except with the treble dimed. It's probly quieter than my passive p's and the Nordstrand pickup sounds glorious... so much so that I may have to get a Jazz and live with the crappy neck just so I can fit a pair of them :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2