Why become a member? ×

EQ Tunings for Amps

la bam

Afternoon all,

Im have been tinkering about all week, and ive really got in to EQing my amp to find out just how many different types of bass sounds, and musical sounds can be achieved by playing with the 9 band eq on my ashdown evo iv. Its genuinely amazed me, having not bothered too much with eq before.

However, im struggling to find how to create an ampeg svt "type" sound. I know you cant make it identical or as valvy warm etc, but does anyone know any eq settings that may work or help to get close? I have it in my head that its close enough, then when i A/B against a demo online its miles off! 

I have every type of music covered - rock, soul, warm, funk, 60s, slap, dub, reggae etc, but this one has me stumped!

Im not looking to add in any pedals etc - just whats on the amp - 9 band eq, valve drive, compression and sub harmonic if needed.

I know its not as easy as making one amp sound the same as another, just looking for some starting points and well known cuts and boosts.

Its just a bit of fun for those into this kind of thing! Or if anyone has any other interesting eq settings to share feel free!

I know you said you weren't looking at pedals, but if you want an easy SVT sound the Tech 21 VT Bass is about the best you can get. Apart from an actual SVT, of course. The VT Bass does other things, too... :)

Edit: A sealed cab definitely helps, either way.

Edited by discreet

Well, i knew i shouldnt have gone the Ampeg route - and been happy with what i had! :)

ive gone and found and bought a vt bass rackmount.

cant wait for it to arrive!

There was just something about that ampeg tone i couldnt recreate - almost sounded like 2 or 3 amps doing different things but all working together - really sub low in the background, and a real chorus like spring to every note. Very musical rather than just bass like.