Why become a member? ×

Cheap active MM SUB

Ou7shined

Ends 8:45 tonight -> [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220317591254&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012"]linky[/url] Looks like it might go for less than the usual.
The headstock looks a bit more chipped up than he's making out and it has an odd E string.
Of course you'll have to find a s/p to replace the original sewer cover. :)

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='339682' date='Nov 28 2008, 03:04 PM']I got mine for £350 which was considered the going rate back then but for some reason they regularly seem to achieve £400-450+ these crazy days.
[b]Well worth it though. :)[/b][/quote]
if your lucky you could bag a proper stingray for £450, so theres no way id go that high for a sub. I think £400 is the absolute ceiling for sensible buying really at the minute

[quote name='BassManKev' post='339694' date='Nov 28 2008, 03:16 PM']if your lucky you could bag a proper stingray for £450, so theres no way id go that high for a sub. I think £400 is the absolute ceiling for sensible buying really at the minute[/quote]
Absolutely Kev, although I think they're creeping back up in price again now. But I'm constantly on the look out for a sub 500 ray.

[quote name='OldGit' post='339723' date='Nov 28 2008, 03:31 PM']I didn't get on with my Ray a few years back - a 3 band 4 string ... Just couldn't hear it in the mix ..
Is a Sub different?[/quote]
Not really no, same as a 3 band ray if you keep the mids flat.
I was actually watching this one, but i can't afford it :) I already have two anyway!

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='OldGit' post='339723' date='Nov 28 2008, 03:31 PM']I didn't get on with my Ray a few years back - a 3 band 4 string ... Just couldn't hear it in the mix ..[/quote]
This puzzles me, as they have pretty prominent sound and I find it hard to imagine my SUB getting lost in any mix. Even at our practice rooms, where I'm forced to plug into any number of old POS amps I can still be heard amid the cacophony. Was your pup a genuine MM job? Often upgraded pups can lose that MM punch completely. Or (and I'm really scratching here) maybe the strings just didn't agreeing with it.

[quote name='OldGit' post='339723' date='Nov 28 2008, 03:31 PM']I didn't get on with my Ray a few years back - a 3 band 4 string ... Just couldn't hear it in the mix ..
Is a Sub different?[/quote]
you couldnt hear a 'ray in the mix???

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='339856' date='Nov 28 2008, 04:52 PM']This puzzles me, as they have pretty prominent sound and I find it hard to imagine my SUB getting lost in any mix. Even at our practice rooms, where I'm forced to plug into any number of old POS amps I can still be heard amid the cacophony. Was your pup a genuine MM job? Often upgraded pups can lose that MM punch completely. Or (and I'm really scratching here) maybe the strings just didn't agreeing with it.[/quote]

Nah I think the Ray plus Ashdown stack didn't agree with my ears ...
Mind you the guy I got it from was selling it but keeping his two band Ray as it sounded much better - to his ears ,
I was just glad to get rid of a Warwick in exchange for the Ray ..

Anyway that Sub went for more than I wanted to spend.

[quote name='OldGit' post='340102' date='Nov 28 2008, 10:07 PM']Is that unusual then?[/quote]

I found the same with my 'ray. I loved the look, and it had a fantastic neck, but I found it got lost in the mix, which really surprised me. Coincidentally, I was using an Ashdown at the time - perhaps it was that!

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='340257' date='Nov 29 2008, 03:35 AM']300 squids. Telt ye. :huh:[/quote]

the other one ended with no bids .. I'm talking to the bloke trying to get a deal :)

Meanwhile last one that sold was a "perfect as new, one owner, 5 times played at home, all case candy and EB case" - £400 .. and that was a few weeks ago when times wern't quite as hard and Christmas was not upon us

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='simon1964' post='340260' date='Nov 29 2008, 05:14 AM']I found the same with my 'ray. I loved the look, and it had a fantastic neck, but I found it got lost in the mix, which really surprised me. Coincidentally, I was using an Ashdown at the time - perhaps it was that![/quote]

I am not alone then :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='340382' date='Nov 29 2008, 11:40 AM']Good luck. :)[/quote]

I couldn't affrod what he wanted so it's back on £350 BIN
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Musicman-SUB-Bass_W0QQitemZ110319243532QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item110319243532&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]link[/url]

I think £350 BIN is reasonable. That's what i paid for mine a year ago that was, quite literally, as new. I think i may have gotten it at the cheap end of the spectrum too, so £350 now doesn't seem so bad

What he says about hard wearing paint is a lie though! It actually chips quite easily.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='340448' date='Nov 29 2008, 01:38 PM']I think £350 BIN is reasonable. That's what i paid for mine a year ago that was, quite literally, as new. I think i may have gotten it at the cheap end of the spectrum too, so £350 now doesn't seem so bad

What he says about hard wearing paint is a lie though! It actually chips quite easily.[/quote]

Ah but that was then and this is now ... With so much financial turmoil and this close to the hardest Christmas for years I'll be interested to see what this goes for.