Why become a member? ×

Saddle screw help!

foxyFuze

Hi all,

I'm trying to source a saddle screw for my 1983ish Tokai JB45.  My go-to chap in Bristol is unable to help. It's not one of the modern 3mm diameter ones widely available: 3.39 x 11mm according to the callipers.  

There must be someone who has such bits and bobs; I'd rather not have to get a new saddle....

Edited by foxyFuze

Just now, foxyFuze said:

Hmm that sounds about right, but the chap I spoke to reckoned the thread pitch on the Fender Vintage screws he had (correct diameter) was different to mine.

Fender US will be imperial, I'm pretty sure (at least, I think most american guitars are)

I would be surprised if a Tokai would be anything but metric.  

On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 08:48, Andyjr1515 said:

Fender US will be imperial, I'm pretty sure (at least, I think most american guitars are)

I would be surprised if a Tokai would be anything but metric.  

Agreed. The US of A thinks metric is a commie European plot to de-stabilise the world... 

58 minutes ago, foxyFuze said:

You'd think so but this is definitely a 0.125" inch screw!

OK - I'm confused

Just to clarify:

I think your Tokai needs a 3.5mm metric fine thread grubscrew

A Fender USA grubscrew will not fit because the threads on USA Fenders are imperial, not metric

So if you get a 3.5mm metric fine thread grubscrew off ebay, it should fit your Tokai.  A Fender USA grubscrew may be the same diameter but it won't fit on your Tokai because it will be the wrong thread pitch. 

Are we both saying the same thing?

41 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

OK - I'm confused

Just to clarify:

I think your Tokai needs a 3.5mm metric fine thread grubscrew

A Fender USA grubscrew will not fit because the threads on USA Fenders are imperial, not metric

So if you get a 3.5mm metric fine thread grubscrew off ebay, it should fit your Tokai.  A Fender USA grubscrew may be the same diameter but it won't fit on your Tokai because it will be the wrong thread pitch. 

Are we both saying the same thing?

Even if they were the same diameter they have different thread angles; Metric has the threads at 60º, Imperial has them at 55º. Just another reason to get a Metric grub screw.

Well looks like it's definitely metric and regular M3 is too small so the next option up is M3.5 as andyjr1515 says. Worth trying as there is a degree of tolerance with the screw diameter so it should fit. If you can find any that is!

Back to where I started, the permitted range of outside diameters for a M3.5 fine thread is between 3.396 to 3.481mm.  As you can see on the chart below, the range for a M3 thread is 2.896mm to 2.981mm which would be too small.  Your reading is 3.33mm which is pretty darned close to the bottom range of an M3.5.

PnQPykTl.jpg

A M3.5mm grubscrew on ebay is going to be a few pence.  I think it's worth a punt.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Bum link - copy and paste this description on ebay search and it will get you to the page I was just looking at:

A2 Stainless Steel Socket Head Grub Set Screw Cup Point M1.6 M2 M2.5 M3 M3.5 M4

Edited by Andyjr1515

Thanks chaps. As has been said, worth a punt for a quid or two.

A minor faff to get a great bass back to being playable. Can't believe I spent several times as much on a jazz bass and it doesn't match this one for feel.

13 minutes ago, foxyFuze said:

Thanks chaps. As has been said, worth a punt for a quid or two.

A minor faff to get a great bass back to being playable. Can't believe I spent several times as much on a jazz bass and it doesn't match this one for feel.

Well - if you can get it up and running, it will be a great result :)  Keep us posted

3.5mm with 0.6mm pitch have done the job! Thanks for the advice. They're shorter than the existing screws but that means they don't protrude above the saddles, which is no bad thing for palm muting.  

I bought 100 so I now have quite a few spares going! 

20180707_105737.jpg

Edited by foxyFuze

6 hours ago, foxyFuze said:

3.5mm with 0.6mm pitch have done the job! Thanks for the advice. They're shorter than the existing screws but that means they don't protrude above the saddles, which is no bad thing for palm muting.  

I bought 100 so I now have quite a few spares going! 

20180707_105737.jpg

Excellent news :)