Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Cheap Vintage VJ74 Jazz bass
£75

Aidan63

SOLD Discreetely through this forum thanks for comments and bumps 

Vintage VJ74 Reissued Jazz Bass, gloss Black with Red tortoiseshell scratch plate and Rosewood fretboard.

According to the Vintage website it's an Eastern Poplar body with hard maple neck and it has Wilkinson pickups, bridge and machine heads. I bought this from Ebay as temporary cover whilst I was rebuilding my MIM Fender, it was described as 'modified and road worn' 🙄 - basically it is a little tatty and hasn't been well looked after, but is a perfectly useable cheap Jazz bass (rrp  £220-300 new), perfect for the shared rehearsal room or pub jam nights or leaving out somewhere the kids can play it or as a modding bass for experimenting with stuff before committing to modifying something more valuable. According to my scales it weighs 4.65Kg = 10.25Lbs so it's not lightweight, so balances as you would expect.

The original Vintage logo (and serial number if it had one) has been removed and a 'Moon Bass' logo applied to the headstock, there's some scratches and dents to the body and a fair few dings in the neck (why do people stand up their instruments so they can fall over - of course some could be from getting too close to the drum kit). Cracks in the finish around the neck pocket as usual but it all seems solid enough, I haven't had the neck off. It has had a Fender type scratch plate on it in the past which had different holes so there are extra holes out of sight under the original scratch plate.

Price includes UK shipping and PayPal fees. No case or gig bag, will be boxed in proper bass guitar transfer cardboard box with padding and outer box. If you want to come and collect or try it it's in Llanfyllin SY22, £55 cash on collection, £70 bank transfer.

If no one wants it I will part it out

thanks for looking

WP_20180604_001.jpg

WP_20180604_002.jpg

WP_20180604_005.jpg

WP_20180604_007.jpg

WP_20180604_008.jpg

WP_20180604_009.jpg

WP_20180604_011.jpg

WP_20180604_013.jpg

WP_20180604_015.jpg

Edited by Aidan63
SOLD
  • Like 1

Update, rather than sell it as it was I have taken the strings off and removed the neck, the upper crack in the finish is through the wood but doesn't affect the neck pocket significantly because the neck pocket isn't tight as manufactured, it is painted on the inside of the neck pocket and the finish is quite rough in there from the factory, quite crude but not full of polishing compound residue like a lot of far eastern built basses are.

I have cleaned the fingerboard, removed some varnish drips (from whoever changed the headstock logo I guess) from the fingerboard and polished the frets and oiled the fingerboard. It will get another oiling and a polish before I fit the strings

I will sand the back of the neck to 2000 grit and oil it to give a nice satin finish and then refit the neck, pop on a set of lightly used Rotosounds that came off my Fender when I changed to flats and set it up and check it out

The machine heads are okay, not heavily worn or damaged

No change in price

I simply can't get another bass past the wife, even at this price, but I can give you a bump and state categorically that this is a bargain! Especially now you're sorting the worst of the neglect that this instrument has suffered. Someone is going to buy this and (rightly) feel smug with themselves that they have got a completely usable Jazz copy silly cheap. GLWTS

6 hours ago, Ian Savage said:

I'm seriously tempted if you'd be willing to post out to Spain (in bits and at my own cost and risk, of course)...provided it's not sold by payday, skint until then! ;)

No problem, it's back together but can be neck off again

The fingerboard came up well and the frets polished up and the back of the neck is nice and smooth now

If you want the action lower than 2.3mm you'd want to pop a shim in the neck pocket as the E string saddle is almost on the bridge plate, I found a card shim in there when I took the neck off, but without the shim it set straight back up to standard Fender Jazz settings, 0.014" neck relief at the 8th fret and 2.3mm string height, no fret buzz anywhere I found.

WP_20180620_015.jpg

WP_20180620_001.jpg

WP_20180620_002.jpg

WP_20180620_005.jpg

WP_20180620_006.jpg

WP_20180620_007.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...