Why become a member? ×

changing out a valve

KennysFord

Hey all.
My amp has a valve pre and i'm toying with the idea of chainging it for a new one.The amp's working fine so it's just in the cause of....experimentation.From the manual its a 12ax7 but i've no idea what make.Are there ones to avoid,ones soooooo lurvly that all others fade by comparison and is it a major job to do.
thanks in advance. :)

I've heard good things about the JJ ECC83s, but have never heard them in action. Of course, if you can find a British made Mullard then I would jump on it... but they're getting pretty rare and expensive these days. The Harma valves look interesting. I might give then a shot next time I re-valve...

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update,
This is totally wierd but very typical.
At our last jam my sound started to distort a wee bit,so,then my bro' tried his amp thru my cabs and it sounded fine.I brought the amp home and tried it thru a pair of Ashdowns from my now dear departed mini rig and the same distortion was there.My Harma valve showed up today from Watford valves so i fitted it and hey presto,no more distortion.
Talk about tempting fate.....Bah !!!