Why become a member? ×

Cornish new bloke

Deep Thought

Hello all, my first post on what looks like a terrific forum. I have been playing bass fairly badly since I was 18 ( I 'm now 42!). I was in various bands when I was younger but gave up about 15 years ago. Last year some folks from work and me formed a new band, and it's great to be playing again. We are all ambulance staff so getting all 4 of us off at the same time is a bit of a nightmare but we seem to be managing OK so far and going down pretty well. We've played nothing but Ambulance service retirement do's and birthday parties so far, but we are hoping to get a demo recorded soon and actually earn some money! I recently got the bass I've always wanted, a USA P-bass in black with maple fingerboard and black scratchplate-a man of simple tastes, I know! Not the first P-bass I've had, but the first US one, and getting the black scratchplate was quite a pantomime! Currently playing through an Ashdown MAG 300 4x10 combo, not my first choice but I had to get something in a hurry and it was the best I could afford at the time. Not bad but I'm looking to upgrade soon, head and cab this time but not sure which way to go yet. We play a mix of rock, modern chart stuff and blues, I tend towards the alternative/indie/punk and blues side but it's just nice to be in a band again so within reason I'm happy to compromise! Looking forward to joining in here if I can find anything useful to add!

Hello and Welcome to the forum.....and welcome back to bass playing for that matter!

Nice to hear your self depricating comments too - I think that I am a GREAT player, until I hear someone who really is good....and then I just want to chop my hands off and burn my gear.....or even worse, become a keyboard player!!!

Thanks for the kind words, chaps. Funnily enough not what you'd call a Hitchhikers guide fan, although I watched and liked the original BBC series waaaay back in the mists of time-no, it was the usual forum thing of 'OK I need a username....what can I use?' First thing that came to mind, the HHG connection only occurred to me afterwards. I'm in St.Austell, currently twinned with Basra as they've knocked half of it down and don't appear to be in any hurry to put it back up. Spend a lot of my time in Newquay, love it there, in fact if I could afford to I'd move there.

Edited by Deep Thought

Welcome.

I'm an expat Cornishman. Brought up in Newquay for my first 9 years, then lived in Polkerris before moving away. I've got friends and relations in St Austell. I often hanker after returning but, like most places, it's not the same as it was.

[quote name='obbm' post='36086' date='Jul 23 2007, 07:53 PM']Welcome.

I'm an expat Cornishman. Brought up in Newquay for my first 9 years, then lived in Polkerris before moving away. I've got friends and relations in St Austell. I often hanker after returning but, like most places, it's not the same as it was.[/quote]

You're not wrong there-thankfully the surrounding area is still great, but I avoid the Town Centre like the plague unless absolutely necessary. Polkerris is fabulous on a Summer's evening (remember those?). Best sunset on the South Coast!

Phil Lynott, what a man, was fortunate enough to see him live at the Cornwall Coliseum, now sadly a condemned, grass-filled shell. I always try to catch Lime House Lizzy when they come down this way, nearly as good as the real thing.

In the early 70's my wife saw Lizzy ELEVEN times at the Greyhound in Croydon, she says two or three with Eric Bell. Had a Pepsi with Brian Robertson.
I was impressed...I married her...

Edited by Chop