Why become a member? ×

Guild B302 bridge woes

TomRandles97

Got a new (old) Guild B302 today, and while it’s a lovely bass it could do with a set up. Buzzing all over the shop.

My main issue here is that the bridge is unlike most bridges I’ve come across. 

70428EB7-055D-4054-9D5B-AFF30FD50A32.thumb.jpeg.d19207d5147f25512f729faa40b8fb6e.jpeg

875900E3-8B80-4E87-8824-E1E8C4753F28.thumb.jpeg.51b106451cd7108682b8083a663d7189.jpeg

2591A382-22A8-41DD-8D00-663E507C69E8.thumb.jpeg.ee12ea9f5e3da4aba44fbb214ef8254f.jpeg

It appears that there’s two main bolts on each side of the bridge that raise the bridge itself, and a smaller cog that must raise the neck-end of the bridge. 

Anyone able to suggest the best way to raise the action? There’s no individual saddles alla Fender and most basses. Seems to be all in the bridge. While I could go and get it set up professionally, I’d rather give it a go myself since I just spent money on the bass itself. 

Note: the neck seems fine, very slight bow but nothing serious.

I had a Guild a while back.  Much like the Gibson 3 point bridge, it's all in those three points.  The saddles will be fixed in relative height to mimic the radius of the fingerboard.  You have to set the whole bridge to the height you want.  You can normally set the treble side a bit lower than the bass side.  Keep it kinda level, but you can have the back a little lower than the front.  Round the other way is bad - on Gibsons I have seen the posts lift out of the body if the back of the bridge is higher than the front, but that's not to say it'll happen on a Guild.

• Thanks 1

There’s also a helpful “fix” described on TB under the heading “Quick 3 point bridge adjustment screw fix for Guild B-302”. This guy stripped the thread on the front adjustment screw and had to replace it. However what he says and shows gives good insight into how this bridge functions, which is similar to the Gibson 3 point about which there is much info here and elsewhere.

• Thanks 1