Why become a member? ×

Should I? and which one?

BassLine4Jesus

After making recordings with MIDI piano and.MIDI Bass guitar I've decided to ask the world if plugging in a real E-bass would really make a difference.  Is real electric bass that much better than what the world of Plugins can do with software? Some of my bass software sounds are pretty good.. but there are things you can do even as a beginner with the e-bass that you can't do with software right?  Should I? I don't really have a lot to spend on a Bass guitar right now.

Yes,. I catch myself laying down just a few measures to try to make that chorus. And I keep telling myself that I need to perform the song and play as long as I can so that the verse can fall into the chorus. But we are getting into other parts of composing. ....or are we?  I have no knowledge of bass when it comes to changing from verse to chorus and repetition and so on...

There was a point in the early 90s when I joined a band with a keys player who had a proper top end synth.

When I first heard the bass patches I found myself wondering if the bass guitar had a future when it seemed like the synth could do it all.

It turned out that whilst the keyboard player could make authentic sounding bass guitar noises he couldn't make the instrument sound like it was an actual bass guitar.

He couldn't replicate basic techniques like hammer ons or slides and he couldn't imitate the fundamental dynamics of fingers interacting with strings.

Mind you, that was nearly 25 years ago, I imagine the technology has moved on quite a bit by now.

• Like 1

I just got home from a pawn shop. I really don't like going into those. The guy next to me was pawning some kind of a rifle. I'm ready for the world to change. These rifles are sickening to me.

Anyway... I bought myself a new bass at an amazing. price. I got an Ibanez , not sure what model. but it sounds great and it's so much more enjoyable to play then the keyboard. So it get props just for that!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BassLine4Jesus said:

I took a pic with my phone and it doesn't seem to want t to send through email. I'll take a nicer one tomorrow.  I'm learning stand by me. Pretty Cool :)

Posting pictures here is a skill.

You can simply copy and paste if you're on a pc. That way BC hosts the pic and you use up your space fast.

The best way is to use Flickr or similar.

I cleverly will use Google Drive. Hope it works. Here are a few pics...

Here is my Pawned Ibanez.. Really pretty when you sit her..or him...next to the price tag

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10vxAcC8Ss86xUf43kx1R-NxQa64wGL47

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10c3o8_gBc0H6j2V7S6a5y_1bNfSkX6rr

Edited by BassLine4Jesus

Answering the OT, it's not necessary to have a bass to record, It will depend of the type of bass lines you're playing. Simple lines without bells and whistles, just holding the root and some walking bass, can be played well in a keyboard. A real bass guitar will bring more options to the table, using diferent techniques you can get sounds that the keyboard can't reproduce properly, you'll have more dynamic control over the notes and sounds.
But you already bought a bass so enjoy it and use it, it may help inspire new lines and options on your recordings.