Why become a member? ×

Buying a cheap drum kit?

Horrorhiker

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

£400 is the price (new...) of an entry-point kit; fine enough for home practice or messing about on (and a good product, just the same...), but cannot be compared to playing an acoustic kit, and is still £400..! A decent electro kit is well above the £1000-plus mark. I'd love an electro kit, but I've seen too many entry-level kits fall apart or be too quickly hammered to dust to spend £400 on one. For gigging, the PA has to be of a minimum standard to plug into, too. No, electro kits are rather the more expensive option; certainly not 'budget', in my experience (more's the pity :( ...).

this is true but Roland are generally a cut above the competition. I'm not a pro musician so a £400 job is fine for me.

Thanks for all the input guys. Got an update as bought a kit off a guy that refurbs decent beginner kits (how he puts it ). 

I tried a few, and a small 'frankenstein' kit spoke to me. Its a Sonor 503 bass and 2 toms, a Mapex venus snare (sounds amazing for a budget one and was what really sold me the kit tbh), a high quality hi hat stand, cant remember the brand, and the entry level Zildjan cymbal set and decent pearl stands. 

20" bass drum which will be better for the brass band, and space taking upping. Pedal seems like good one, it plays really well anyway. 

All set up and tuned, new bass drum skin plus a set of vic firth dampeners thrown in. I paid £250 and was pretty happy with that. 

• Like 2