Why become a member? ×

What's your favourite Preamp/DI?

PatrickJ

7 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Do you play guitar or bass? 

Was that question aimed at me?

I play both.

But always considered bass my main instrument of choice.

At the moment though my main bass is tuned in tenor bass, A standard, tuning, which I know for instance Victor Wooten makes use of frequently, but especially Stanley Clarke makes wide use of.

As far as I am concerned perfect for the just 28.6" scale length of the 4 string Ibanez Mikro Bass that I love playing and use for this.

From the WikiPedia article about Bass Guitar tunings:

image.png.adc15fa532d2c9e48784ef4159b6a3d8.png

image.png.52e985acd53717158da20901e3d3d9ed.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_guitar_tuning

Obviously not suited for covering a traditional bass player role in a band context, but perfect for melodic/solo work, as well as being well suited for doing chords, but while also still actually sounding great playing more traditional transposed bass lines on, making a sort of hybrid guitar/bass approach suited when playing such a bass to make full use of its capabilities/possibilities.   

I guess more so taking on a role of a low tuned Tenor Guitar, rather than a traditional bass role, but the instrument still technically being categorized as a Bass Guitar, hence the name Tenor Bass. 

So while I do play both Guitar and Bass Guitar, and my current main instrument still is categorized as a Bass Guitar, I suppose you could argue that with how it is strung and tuned at the moment I play neither, but rather a low tuned Tenor Guitar, or more specifically a Tenor Bass Guitar.

Just like the Bass Ukulele is typically being tuned in fourths, rather than fifths, as you would otherwise traditionally tune a Ukulele or Tenor Guitar. 

The WikiPedia article on Tenor Guitars: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenor_guitar 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 11/09/2023 at 10:47, dmc79 said:

Just been thinking about preamp/DI boxes that have headphone & Aux inputs. With the likes of EBS, Ampeg, TC, GK, Broughton, Laney, Mesa, Genzler, and now Aguilar, offering headphone / Aux inputs, don't you agree that the likes of Tech 21 and MXR are lagging behind in this area? It's becoming more of a crowded marketplace for sure, but I wonder if either of those have something in the pipeline in this regard. More bassists than ever seem to be using IEMs or needing a swiss army knife preamp/DI with headphone / aux for silent practice, so whilst there are plenty of options out there, I'm also a little surprised that some companies are yet to offer anything as such. 

If I had to choose just one addition for the VTBass, it would likely be an effects loop (after the drive section) over a headphone out - though that would certainly be nice.

On 12/09/2023 at 12:02, Baloney Balderdash said:

Was that question aimed at me?

I play both.

But always considered bass my main instrument of choice.

At the moment though my main bass is tuned in tenor bass, A standard, tuning, which I know for instance Victor Wooten makes use of frequently, but especially Stanley Clarke makes wide use of.

As far as I am concerned perfect for the just 28.6" scale length of the 4 string Ibanez Mikro Bass that I love playing and use for this.

From the WikiPedia article about Bass Guitar tunings:

image.png.adc15fa532d2c9e48784ef4159b6a3d8.png

image.png.52e985acd53717158da20901e3d3d9ed.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_guitar_tuning

Obviously not suited for covering a traditional bass player role in a band context, but perfect for melodic/solo work, as well as being well suited for doing chords, but while also still actually sounding great playing more traditional transposed bass lines on, making a sort of hybrid guitar/bass approach suited when playing such a bass to make full use of its capabilities/possibilities.   

I guess more so taking on a role of a low tuned Tenor Guitar, rather than a traditional bass role, but the instrument still technically being categorized as a Bass Guitar, hence the name Tenor Bass. 

So while I do play both Guitar and Bass Guitar, and my current main instrument still is categorized as a Bass Guitar, I suppose you could argue that with how it is strung and tuned at the moment I play neither, but rather a low tuned Tenor Guitar, or more specifically a Tenor Bass Guitar.

Just like the Bass Ukulele is typically being tuned in fourths, rather than fifths, as you would otherwise traditionally tune a Ukulele or Tenor Guitar. 

The WikiPedia article on Tenor Guitars: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenor_guitar 

Thank you for your story - stunning and brave. 

• Haha 1