Why become a member? ×

EBMM Musicman S.U.B.5 - SOLD
£675

Delberthot

I bought this around Christmas time and have really enjoyed playing it but prefer my Sterling. There's no point in it sitting in a case so it's time to go to to a new home.

These basses were made by Ernie Ball Musicman in the USA as a way to compete with basses being made in the far east but keeping production at their factory in San Luis Obispo, California.

They used solid, uncontoured bodies and textured paint as a way to keep the costs down but the basses are fitted with the same bridges, pickups and 2 band EQs that the regular USA Stingray models were fitted with. This particular bass was made in December 2003.

Other differences between this and the USA version is that the scratchplate is the same shape as the 4 string Stingray and uses the 2 band EQ instead of the 3 band EQ. The pickup uses Alnico magnets which is the same as the 5 string Stingrays produced in the early and current models and is wired in parallel same as the 4 string Stingray.

Eventually Sterling Ball realised that he was losing too much money on these so production ceased around 2007.

In 2009 production began of the Classic Stingray 5 which looks remarkably like this bass and I have heard that the scratchplates for the classic series fit these basses as well. There are a few differences with the hardware but they use the same pickups and 2 band EQ. 

The original scratchplate would have looked like metal chequerboard but this has been changed sometime in the past and it would not surprise me if this was a Classic Stingray one that was fitted to this bass. The Classic 5 retails for around £2,500 which makes this bass a bargain.

The SUB4 is relatively common as that is what most people went for but there are relatively of these SUB5 models in existence. I believe that this will be a future classic due to it's rarity, it's different to the other USA Musicman models and they were only produced for less than 4 years. A lot of people believe that the true Stingray sound only comes from the 2-band EQ and until the Classic series came along, these were the only 2-band 5 string you could buy.

The sound of this is incredible and sounds like a 5 string Stingray should with plenty of growl. It has Schaller style straplocks fitted to the bass (I'm not sure if they are real or not) so you only need to buy the parts that attach to the strap.

The bass is in excellent cosmetic condition. There are a couple of tiny chips on the body on the back at the top of the bass that could probably be filled if you wanted to but you have to look very carefully to find any other marks. This bass has been well looked after and everything works as it should

It comes complete with a Musicman branded hard case which is in very good condition with no major scratches and no broken parts ( the Stingray 5 I bought brand new in 2000 didn't even come with one of these )

I'd prefer a straight sale but am open to offers. Insured postage will come in at around £35 but I am also happy to meet up within reason for cash.

20180428_161014.jpg

20180428_161035.jpg

20180428_161130.jpg

20180428_161135.jpg

20180428_161139.jpg

20180428_161355.jpg

20180428_160952.jpg

20180428_161003.jpg

Edited by Delberthot

I can vouch for both the bass and the seller, buy with complete confidence from this guy.

I bought his Fender Rumble V3 500 combo some time ago (which BTW I still gig with every weekend ) and the deal couldn't have gone any more smoothly. 

By complete coincidence, I also sold one of these exact basses but in grey last month, and it was an enforced sale by 'er indoors as I'd just purchased a 'Ray 5. I desperately wanted to keep it as a spare but orders are orders, as the saying goes :) 

So anyone who is interested in this, you'll be getting a cracking bass from a cracking seller.

GLWTS :) 

I just found one of these over here in Germany.

These are fine basses, and I prefer the classic look a lot to the different shaped Stingray 5.

Not many of these around, and white looks even better than my black one!

GLWTS !

• MB1 locked this topic
  • gary mac unlocked this topic

I've decided that after having used this at a few rehearsals I much prefer 4 string basses now so I am definitely selling this now.

I've also updated the original post with better pictures. There isn't anything that I am interested trade wise at the moment but feel free to try me.

Lastly, I've changed the strings for a set of Chromes which will be included with the sale. These were an eyewatering £66 from Stringsdirect

Edited by Delberthot

I've decided that I'd like a Fender Precision as a trade (could still be open to others and I'd prefer a straight sale)

I've tended to drift between Precision and Musicman type basses over the years so I figure that if I have both then I'm sorted and can swap from one to the other rather than selling one to buy the other

Would prefer either a Japanese or US model but would consider a MIM depending on which model. It would also need to be in really good condition with no dings so roadworn is out for me. I'd also be interested in either a '51 or Sting single coil model