Why become a member? ×

Recommendations for a bass stand for two pls

Marky L

Hi
What do you guys use for a stand at a gig that will take two basses safely? I have a single bass one and am really frightened that it'll topple over, just seems badly balanced, that and I really ought to have the spare bass out on show too :)
I'm not looking to solve the credit crunch single handedly, so a good price is part of my equation.

Ta
M

You have a couple of options - either a double stand that holds two instruments back-to-back (I have one of these that I take to gigs) or something like the Warwick Rockstand where you slot the guitars in sideways, as it were. You can get those in 3, 5 or 7 capacity (I have the 5, which I used to use for storing my guitars at home, but I haven't used it since I got wall hangers).

S.P.

The answer is Hercules. They're not cheap, but well worth it because of what they do and also because they are things of engineering beauty.

Most upright stands have a kind of rubber band that holds the guitar in place when not in use. This is a pain in the a*** because it's hard to remove quickly and safely without pulling the stand over, especially if you aren't entirely sober.

The Herc has a pair of claws that release the guitar when you lift it off the stand, but hold it securely till needed. Also padded with stuff that doesn't come off on the finish. And well balanced so it shouldn't fall over, even with one bass on it, provided you extend the legs fully. I love mine.

[url="http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS422B.html"]http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS422B.html[/url]

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='336545' date='Nov 25 2008, 06:56 PM']Yep, +1 on the Herc![/quote]

Nope -1 on the Herc. I had one, first time I used it, it collapsed causing minor damage to a new ric and my fender P. The device to hold the centre stand was not man enough to handle 2 basses imo. I use 2 micro stands good enough for gigs.

[quote name='farmer61' post='336606' date='Nov 25 2008, 08:36 PM']Nope -1 on the Herc. I had one, first time I used it, it collapsed causing minor damage to a new ric and my fender P. The device to hold the centre stand was not man enough to handle 2 basses imo. I use 2 micro stands good enough for gigs.[/quote]
I had the same problem with the first one that I had. Luckily it was before I got my Shuker. Still, I was furious. It was replaced and I've had no problems whatso ever with it. They are good stands, I reckon they must have just had a faulty batch.