Left leaderboard
farmer61

Phil Jones 100w cub

I tried with bass guitar and double bass.  Its a great little thing but I couldn't use it for anything but the smallest gigs with the most attentive of audiences.  May work better if you can DI into a house PA etc but I couldn't make it work..especially if it was a venue I didn't know well in advance.  My best experience was with an acoustic bass guitar - it was easy to tuck behind the chair so it was invisible, and it actually felt like the bass was making a good acoustic sound (which it can't do!).

• Like 1

I used to rehearse with mine where there was an electronic drum kit and it was just about OK.  However, with an acoustic kit it would've been lost completely.  At a gig, it'd be fine as a monitor if you use the DI out into the PA.  Great sounding practice amp, it really retains the nuances of the instrument's tone, especially piezo equipped basses.

• Like 1

I did lots of gigs with it's smaller cousin the PJB Double 4. It was absolutely fine. That was jazz and solo bass stuff, some ambient ensemble stuff too, that does get a bit loud at times. They're very fussy with placement, ideally they need to be in a corner, or by a wall, so they have something to bounce off.

The smaller PJB combos are OK when other instruments are acoustic, but once electricity enters the equation, they don't quite cut it in my experience. I had the Flightcase (4x5" speakers, 150w). Fine sounding but needed help when playing with electric guitars, drums, etc. Sold it and got a couple of C4 cabs and use them with a lightweight head. Good for up to medium volume and moderate drums but after that, it's back to old school cabs.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By BassApprentice
      So the time has come to sell my amp - I've toyed  with this for a long time but I am not going to be in a band and I mostly play in headphones so this is up for sale.
      If you know about Phil Jones, you know the quality you're getting. Whilst this is a slightly older model this is basically new, all 4 speakers have been replaced and haven't been used for anything louder than indoor use since they were replaced. Also comes with a cover
      Here are the official specs:
      • 2 channel 300 W amp (180W into internal speakers)
      • 4 x high power 5” drivers in computer designed 8Ω enclosure
      Each input features;
      • Active/Passive input
      • 5 band eq  (50Hz/160Hz/630Hz, 2.5kHz/12kHz)
      • Optical compressor/limiter (switchable/adjustable)
      • Headphone out
      • Balanced line out XLR DIi)
      • Effects return
      • Extension speaker out (taking the output to 300 W with extra 8Ω cab w/speakon)
      •Dimensions; 16.5 H x 13.5 W x 17.5 D
      •Weight - 49lb/23kgs
      I am happy to ship it but it being 23kg it won't be cheap, happy to get you a quote though. Also happy to meet up to arrange collection.
      Any questions let me know!

• By Grewster
      Fantastic little cabs these - we all know that you just can’t beat them for size versus output with incredible fidelity even down to the low B. Hugely portable with a massive sound. I’ve only had it for a short while (gigged once) and loved it so much that I started to plan for a second one when along came a Barefaced cab at a price that I couldn’t refuse. As new condition with PJB cover, paperwork and original box. Will courier at cost, happy to provide local ish delivery.

• By KhaosEmerald
      Hi all
      Ive recently switched back from guitar to bass as I missed it. It's been some time since I've needed a bass amp and I'm a little lost as to what I should go for. I'm on a fairly low budget as I'm a uni student, so looking second hand predominantly. 
      Here's what I need it for:
      Bedroom playing/recording (looking to record some covers to get back into the swing of things) 
      Potential gigging in small local venues (max 100 people) when I find a band
      Portability! I have lower back problems so looking to keep things easy to transport. 
      Versatility - I play a lot of rock and metal, plus some punk and funk

Options I've identified - 
      Combos - peavey max 200w 1x12, tc electronic bg250 1x15
      Heads - fender rumble 200, ashdown pi bass 240, tc electronic bh250, tc electronic bq500. 
      I'm looking for something to cover all bases for now as I'm just getting back into it. Would love to hear your thoughts! 
    • By Jay J
      Excellent condition, little used. Phil Jones BG 100 bass cub combo. Black. Bought in may 2018. 2 channels, 2 x 3 band EQ, mic input, headphone out, DI out, pre amp out. 12" by 10.8" by 7.8". 2 x PJB Neopower type A speakers. Weight is 13.2  lbs/6 kilos. Volts 100 to 240 AC. Tilt option. Padded Phil Jones Carry Case. Personal in person for a cash sale only/no posting possible...

• By DarylClayton
      Hi everyone
      This is a great monitor for small/mid gigs where you are struggling to hear yourself on a cramped stage.
      It picks up the mid range and top end from your amp and really helps to hear things much more clearly which can be difficult when you are stood right next to your amp/cab.
      This is ideal for mid to low volume gigs. I don't think it would be ideal for loud rock gigs.
      I can include a long speakon cable with it. The cable is inserted under the Ear Box which needs to be screwed/mounted on to a mic stand.
      I have the original packaging and can do shipping and also welcome you to try it out.
      Thanks
      Daz