Why become a member? ×

Upgrading pickups on an active bass

The GroovyPlucker

I'd like to know your informed opinions on this!!!

I have two P/J Basses, Fender Active Mexican and Squier Passive.

I have upgraded the Squier to Entwistle PBXN & JBXN pickups, and have it down tuned to BEAD (replacing the idea of a 5 string)

The Entwistle pickups are huge, can't even turn the pots up to full, this maybe due to the pickup height, not sure, but they have tremendous output compared with seymour duncans. Also using very lively string which are ghs bass boomers which might be a part of the equation. Having said all that I can use them and tame them ok and the Squier Bass is well usable.

Anyhow, was looking at doing the same on my Fender Mex active bass. I find the output is good with stock electronics and pickups but just want to take them to 11 so was gonna put in entwistle or seymour duncans, but after the excess output have been put off enwistle so would go with SPB3's which have the more modern sound I'm after as opposed to SPB2's I usually use, or vintage style SPB1's.

My Question is, I've never added new pickups to an Active bass before and I'm wondering if it would alter the character of the bass too much, always upgraded passive precisions or jazz with SD's so I know what to expect.

Anyone have experience of a Fender Active with Seymour Duncans, or any other for that matter,

Cheers,

Mark 

IMO you should be buying pickups and onboard pre amps for their tone and you should be looking to the amp to provide the volume you require.

If you have to spend time trying to tame the signal from a bass it is not a good thing. And a too hot signal from your bass will probably limit the effectiveness of what you can achieve with your preamp.

Edited by chris_b

On 02/02/2018 at 12:17, chris_b said:

IMO you should be buying pickups and onboard pre amps for their tone and you should be looking to the amp to provide the volume you require.

If you have to spend time trying to tame the signal from a bass it is not a good thing. And a too hot signal from your bass will probably limit the effectiveness of what you can achieve with your preamp.

Exactly!