Why become a member? ×

Which preamp?

timo

I'm after a preamp and I'm either going for the Fishman Platinum or LR Baggs Para Acoustic. I'm more inclined towards the LR Baggs as I think it has a bit of extra functionality and it looks cooler than the grey Fishman. Anyone got any advice either way? I'm sure both would be perfect for the job and I know people use and swear by both.

Unless anyone uses anything else such as a sansamp on upright with good results then please let me know!

Cheers

Well, I've used loads...including the Baggs (but not the current Fishman). Good things about the Baggs = strong output, good control over input gain, runs on phantom, has a permanent "low cut" which doesn't seem to mess with your sound but helps with "rumble". Bad points = hard to use a tuner send cable (it needs a return as well, one of those Y patch cables) can be too high output for the PA, the eq isn't really designed for bass, more acoustic guitar. A lot of the variable eq is well above a useful range.

I used to use the old Fishman preamp, but that had no DI. It always sounded good, but that was ten years ago.....

To be honest, any good quality active preamp/DI will help with most pickups, its a question of which features are useful to you. Most of the time I use a "flat" active DI made by Orchid - the most useful feature is the mute footswitch so I can turn off!

[quote name='BassBod' post='330236' date='Nov 16 2008, 07:34 PM']Well, I've used loads...including the Baggs (but not the current Fishman). Good things about the Baggs = strong output, good control over input gain, runs on phantom, has a permanent "low cut" which doesn't seem to mess with your sound but helps with "rumble". Bad points = hard to use a tuner send cable (it needs a return as well, one of those Y patch cables) can be too high output for the PA, the eq isn't really designed for bass, more acoustic guitar. A lot of the variable eq is well above a useful range.

I used to use the old Fishman preamp, but that had no DI. It always sounded good, but that was ten years ago.....

To be honest, any good quality active preamp/DI will help with most pickups, its a question of which features are useful to you. Most of the time I use a "flat" active DI made by Orchid - the most useful feature is the mute footswitch so I can turn off![/quote]

I have not used the Baggs but use the Fishman happily. It does all the Baggs is said to do above, but the EQ is for bass and the tuner out is just a tuner out and the low cut is variable. it also has a phase reverse to ease some feedback issues. I'm sure the Baggs is a fine piece of kit, but it looks like the Fishman is in the lead at the moment.