Why become a member? ×

flats on a warwick

jerseytrev

I was a little wary of putting flatwounds on my SSII at first too, because I thought (probably the same as you) that it would detract somewhat from the growly, bright characteristics that most Warwicks are known for.

However, I put on a set of Thomastik flats and was pleasantly surprised. The tension was a lot higher though, so a little adjusting of the truss rod was needed to maintain the same action. The sound was great, totally different to the sort you get with roundwounds, very vintage! I'd highly recommend putting them on your Fortress if you're after a 50's/60's style sound.

Let us know what you decide to do either way :)

[quote name='acidbass' post='329509' date='Nov 15 2008, 12:51 AM']I was a little wary of putting flatwounds on my SSII at first too, because I thought (probably the same as you) that it would detract somewhat from the growly, bright characteristics that most Warwicks are known for.

However, I put on a set of Thomastik flats and was pleasantly surprised. The tension was a lot higher though, so a little adjusting of the truss rod was needed to maintain the same action. The sound was great, totally different to the sort you get with roundwounds, very vintage! I'd highly recommend putting them on your Fortress if you're after a 50's/60's style sound.

Let us know what you decide to do either way :)[/quote]
think i will give them a try ,will certainly put up my findings cheers

[quote name='BassBod' post='329877' date='Nov 15 2008, 09:15 PM']Same experience with a SS1 and Thomastick flats - a very good "old style" sound, but may need a tweak or two (not difficult on a Warwick).[/quote]
anyone tried the fender flats ? seems i should have ordered thomastick flats . oh well will give them a try .

[quote name='markytbass' post='330267' date='Nov 16 2008, 08:39 PM']I have Ernie Ball flats on my Dolphin, they sound great. I'll probably try some other brands, I had the EB's kicking around in my gig bag so put them on. I didn't go as far as Roto Tru-bass, I just didn't think they would work.[/quote]
oops almost went for the ernie ball flats ,oh well we will see. might even try on my $$ :)

[quote name='jerseytrev' post='329883' date='Nov 15 2008, 09:24 PM']anyone tried the fender flats ? seems i should have ordered thomastick flats . oh well will give them a try .[/quote]

Yep I tried some (9050s I think), found them roughly finished and not overly pleasant tonally. Went to D'addarios and use them all the time now, but have recently got into GHS flats too.... they are superb from new (ie dont really require 'playing in' to get the best tone from them) and they are so smoov on your fingers.....

I really quite like them.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='331292' date='Nov 18 2008, 10:03 AM']Yep I tried some (9050s I think), found them roughly finished and not overly pleasant tonally. Went to D'addarios and use them all the time now, but have recently got into GHS flats too.... they are superb from new (ie dont really require 'playing in' to get the best tone from them) and they are so smoov on your fingers.....

I really quite like them.[/quote]
well flats arrived yesterday ,put them on my fortress last night really improved the tone .fender 9050s nice and smooth well finished i am well impressed. :)
anyone tried any on a $$ or am i pushing it a bit as the sound of the $$ awsome

Edited by jerseytrev