Why become a member? ×

new bass

jerseytrev

well in the market for a jazz bass ,going to the gallery next month . have narrowed it down to a lakland skyline darryl jones sig in black , or outside chance of a fender american standard but the fender seems from what i have read suffers from quality control. only fender i might concider is a jap one if i can obtain one .sadowsky are a bit out of my . league.might enquire about a j retro fitted or external sadowsky pre.

[quote name='jerseytrev' post='329348' date='Nov 14 2008, 07:14 PM']well in the market for a jazz bass ,going to the gallery next month . have narrowed it down to a lakland skyline darryl jones sig in black , or outside chance of a fender american standard but the fender seems from what i have read suffers from quality control. only fender i might concider is a jap one if i can obtain one .sadowsky are a bit out of my . league.might enquire about a j retro fitted or external sadowsky pre.[/quote]
i have a usa fender jazz which i bought in january and there was no quality control issues whatsoever,but that was just the one i bought,whatever make you might get a duff one that slips through,have a good look at it and a good play first and you shouldnt have a problem.at the end of the day its your choice but have a good look first as there is more to choose from ,i didnt have a lot of choice but my jazz is ok.

The Gallery's a great place to shop. You'll sure have fun buying a new bass.

Personally, I wouldn't go there with any preset ideas about a bass other than the type of sound you're after. You never know, you could miss playing a great bass because it's not a manufacturer that you'd thought of.

Always buy with your ears and not with your eyes!

Edited by 7string

[quote name='jerseytrev' post='329348' date='Nov 14 2008, 07:14 PM']outside chance of a fender american standard but the fender seems from what i have read suffers from quality control.[/quote]

My advice would be to not buy a new Fender. If you can find one that's done a few shows and still plays well then it's probably a good one, but I wouldn't want one fresh out of the factory.

Was out buying strings yesterday actually and watched someone buy a US Std. Precision in the shop I was in. It's hard to believe they put those things out for that price. No offence to the Precision lovers around here, I like the sound of a Precision, but they're so basic, I don't see why they should be so expensive.

[quote name='7string' post='329959' date='Nov 16 2008, 12:14 AM']The Gallery's a great place to shop. You'll sure have fun buying a new bass.

Personally, I wouldn't go there with any preset ideas about a bass other than the type of sound you're after. You never know, you could miss playing a great bass because it's not a manufacturer that you'd thought of.

Always buy with your ears and not with your eyes![/quote]

I've never had the good fortune to visit the gallery, nut I wholeheartedly agree with the rest of the post.
I enjoy picking up / examining / playing instruments I've never encountered before.
In my ideal world, they wouldn't have headstock decals or price tags on them.
Then the tone, features,construction quality, ergonomics and feel of the instrument would determine people's instrument choice.
(Note the absence of colour/aesthetics - They shouldn't matter very much at all compared to the other factors!)

As for Fenders, my 2004 MIA S1 Jazz is super to play and sounds lovely. BUT...
The Neck pocket isn't as tight as my Squier VMJ
The scratchplate screws have rusted to death in 2 years' ownership
The body has the huge circular rout in it (hidden by the scratchplate) from where the paint rig holds it...
They've drilled & filled a couple of little knots in the Ash body
They neck has always had a slight undulation in it beneath the 3rd fret towards the upper third of the neck circumference.
The pole-pieces are speckled with corrosion.

That's being really picky.
But none of these seem to detract from the instrument as a whole.
I still really like it and wouldn't be without it.
Those who've heard it and played it reckon it's great.