Why become a member? ×

Frank Blank

So I have very recently purchased an AER Basic Performer. This has a far more complicated set of controls than my previous extremely simple Fender amp. Despite running the obvious risk of revealing myself as an utter fool, I feel this is the perfect place to ask anyone here to explain the various controls that I don’t understand. Obviously I can just plug in and see what happens but I’d rather do that with a little knowledge first. So here is the list of features/controls I don’t know...

• DI pre/post
  • 24 volt phantom
  • 9 volt phantom
  • Notch filter/frequency (I think a notch filter is something to do with feedback?)

...any pointers/explanations you can give would be hugely appreciated.

Here is a diagram of the controls...

BDE88C53-8C5B-4D35-A051-9C067DB7F5A9.jpeg

Edited by Frank Blank

Found this on t'interweb which may be of use?

• Connecting and starting-up Check to ensure that the mains voltage at your location corresponds to what is permitted for operating the BASIC PERFORMER. You will find the necessary information on the rear side under “Dest.” (country of destination) and “AC-voltage”. Before switching the amp on, the “Master” and “Return” controls should be turned to the zero position (as far left as they will go) and all other controls to middle position. Then make all necessary cable connections (mains, instrument and/or microphone). Now you can switch on your BASIC PERFORMER with the power switch on the rear of the amp. The green power indicator shows that the amp is operational.

• Level control You can use the “Line/Mic”-switch, the “Pad”-switch and the “Gain”-control to adjust the various pickup systems and signal sources to the BASIC PERFORMER. The “Clip”-indicator shows that the input signal is too high. You should then reduce the “Gain”control or the “Volume”-control on your signal source to ensure distortion-free reproduction. You can now set the desired overall volume with the “Master”controls. If youconnect a footswitch with the “FSMaster”-socket on the rear if the BASIC PERFORMER, you can change between “Solo”- and “Ensemble”master while you are playing. With the “Channel Mute”-switches you can mute each channel seperately if necessary.

• Notch filter A notch filter subjects frequencies of a certain frequency-band (in this case between 30 and 400 Hz) to severe reduction (- 14 dB) in a very narrow band (quality 2). This helps to reduce feedback and other annoying resonances. The special properties of the notch filter can also be used to modify the sound.

• Compressor All our amplifiers are dynamically controlled. The supplementary compressor can only be switched off completely or switched to one channel. In addition to its function as a dedicated bass effect-device, it can be used to compensate differences in dynamic range between various signal-sources or to give dynamic support to the voice.

The phantom power relates to microphone or other item that requires power. Certain mics require ‘power’ for operation - these are usually condensers. These tend to be 48 volt. 9 volt, I have no clue!

the DI PRE/POST. most often used to send a signal from the amp to a PA. PRE means that the signal is sent without any influence from the tone controls of the amp - a flat signal is sent. POST sends the signal as you hear it from the amp. Most sound engineers would prefer to receive a pre signal so that s/he can then adjust the tone from the mixing desk. 

Welcome to AER users!

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 20:19, Tubster said:

It seems that 9v is used by some acoustic guitar pre-amps

You can also power some active basses via 9v phantom, but do check whether yours will accept this before switching it in. EBS heads have a similar option.