Why become a member? ×

Best pre amp for USA jazz bass passive

Philip Ramsey

• 2 weeks later...

SHORT ANSWER

The best pre-amp for a professional quality, passive Jazz Bass is the front end of an Ampeg SVT. Second choice, the SVPCL

LONG ANSWER

What improvements do you wish the active circuitry installation to provide?

Bear in mind that combining passive single coil pickups with boosting electronics will increase background noise. Even if your pickups employ a reverse magnetic polarity and coil winding direction relationship in an attempt to cancel noise and interference, this can only be effective when both pickup volume controls are set to the same level. 

On a physical level, on a regular Jazz Bass body, the PP3 and all of the electronics need to squeeze into the control cavity. A more practical option is to have a battery compartment cut into the back of the instrument. The downside is that this alteration is not reversible.

If you like the idea of the Seymour Duncan STC-3 system, it used to be available as the Paranormal pedal. All the same controls and switching as the onboard version with the addition of an XLR direct injection socket. Nice!

+1 for John East!  Supplied on a bell plate which drops into the bass with little or no effort! Which one; for me the J-Retro all the way! I have one fitted on my 5 string jazz fretless (the swept mid EQ gives some great, growly Wal-esque tones) and another in my Lakland DJ5. Some might say they are too hot, in which case East have the J-Tone, which is a more subtle and oriented to a a more punchy passive sound.

Hope that helps! 

Edited by MoJoKe

8 hours ago, Funkfingers said:

Bear in mind that combining passive single coil pickups with boosting electronics will increase background noise.

On a physical level, on a regular Jazz Bass body, the PP3 and all of the electronics need to squeeze into the control cavity.

With the J-retro I have never experienced issues with either of the above with any of the basses I've owned.

The J-retro currently in my fretless has previously been in two other basses (a Squier VM5 and a Lakland JO5). With no noise or fit issues. The only slight pain is you need to remove the bell plate again to refit a new battery, and it can be fiddly to re-seat with the pickup and battery connector wiring, but once you get the nack, its straightforward, and more importantly doesn't need to be done that often (3-6 months as long as you don't leave the jack plugged in between shows or at home/studio)!

If you are not sure it will work for you, and want this to be reversible, simply make sure you take a pic of the wiring before you make any modification so you can re-solder the connections correctly, but otherwise it'll be completely reversible with no damage at all. 

I had an East J-Retro in my Jazz and went back to passive after a while. The East is excellent, but I felt the active preamp robbed the instrument of that essential Jazz Bass character and made it sound a bit more generic, if that makes sense. I was initially impressed (and the East is very well made and clean sounding), but grew tired of it, so replaced it with new pots, cap and wiring and sold it on.

2 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I had an East J-Retro in my Jazz and went back to passive after a while. The East is excellent, but I felt the active preamp robbed the instrument of that essential Jazz Bass character and made it sound a bit more generic, if that makes sense. I was initially impressed (and the East is very well made and clean sounding), but grew tired of it, so replaced it with new pots, cap and wiring and sold it on.

I think this is why he developed the J-Tone... It is less "preamp-y" and more like the bass it is fitted to. I don't know this for sure as I have never used one, but found this video and would definitely love to try one myself!

Edited by MoJoKe

3 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I ... went back to passive after a while ... I felt the active preamp robbed the instrument of that essential Jazz Bass character and made it sound a bit more generic, if that makes sense.

Makes sense to me.

With Jazz Bass guitars, I like passive Fender pickups and pots for certain sounds and fully active replacement pickup/EQ systems for others. i.e. The old Seymour Duncan Active EQ "switch" pickups.

3 minutes ago, Funkfingers said:

Makes sense to me.

With Jazz Bass guitars, I like passive Fender pickups and pots for certain sounds and fully active replacement pickup/EQ systems for others. i.e. The old Seymour Duncan Active EQ "switch" pickups.

Ditto, would love to give the J-tone a try though! Anyone out there got one?