Why become a member? ×

String suggestions please

thisnameistaken

I've been in the habit of putting Rotos '66 rounds on every bass I've had since I was 17 or so. I started feeling that they're a little bit too bright and snappy at first though (I think I'm getting old), so I'm thinking about trying some others.

My main bass is a Thumb which I usually put 100-40s on. I don't really do any slapping, I play with my fingers, and I like a nice tight punchy sound. My other bass is a fretless Stingray which currently has 105-45s on, which actually sound pretty good but Rotos always feel really sharp to me and I'm a bit concerned that prolonged use of them might be bad for the fingerboard. I still want a roundwound fretless sound, but if possible with a string that's less harsh-feeling.

Any suggestions welcome. :)

Hello,just restrung my fretless with d'addario halfround nickels 45-100 (enr71),great smooth feel to these straight from the packet,plenty of mwah & not as dull as flatwounds,I buy mine from stringsdirect.co.uk,brilliant service & price,phoned monday morning & they arrived in tuesday's post,check out their website,plenty to choose from including double ball's ,mike b

[quote name='joe_bass' post='327612' date='Nov 12 2008, 02:08 PM']I've got black beauties on my Thumb, decent sound & look really good with the black hardware, bit pricey though so probably wouldn't bother again.

As for my Stingray I've got Slinkys, which sound a lot better & also feel a lot better to play.[/quote]

+1 for the slinkys - I use them on my Ibanez. Actually prefer the sound of them to the Elixirs that I used to use (bloody hell they're expensive!!!) but the Elixirs are nicer to play - although fast fret helps with that to some extent.

+ for slinkies. they are fantastic strings. I used them on just about everything including Stingrays, Rickenbackers and both my '51 reissue precisions. Nice and smooth feeling and very punchy.

My current choice, and has been for the last year, are Optima strings. not too bad on the fingers, last a long time(my last set were on for 8 months) I use the gold ones on my Gold Warmoth and the Chrome ones on my newest one.

I actually think i prefer the chrome ones now.

They are more expensive but if you contact A Strings [url="http://www.astrings.co.uk/"]http://www.astrings.co.uk/[/url] they are the UK distributor and managed to sort me out with my first set at a reduced price. I haven't bought any more from them yet as they do last for ages.

The chrome ones are also cheaper than the gold ones for obvious reasons.

I've just bought some Newtone roundwounds - they're the Platinum series and appear to have a very fine and comfortable wrap (they're built to reduce squeal in recording situations but I'd suspect they'd suit your requirements) - excellent company too with great customer service and custom capability

All of Dr round strings sound and feel great
If you like rotosounds but want a bit more smooth midrang and bass try the marcus miller signature set
I use High beams but there very bright have less tension than most due to the round core
Black beauties look and sound amazing but are To expensive for me to use often

Yeah I used to get free DR strings when I played in a band in the USA, they're great. I never see them over here though and never think of ordering them in.

I put slinkys (100-45) on my Thumb yesterday and they sound pretty good so far. Nice and fat, chunky sound and they feel a little smoother than the Rotos too. Have to see how they cope after a couple of weekends of abuse though.