Why become a member? ×

How do you connect to the PA?

chrisanthony1211

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1510335997' post='3405759']
Tbf I'm not sure all ampeg heads have a DI on the back so the sound crew might have had no choice, still not great putting the phantom up you though. I'm not sure that's supposed to happen either tbf, the phantom should just power the di box to save batteries afaik?
[/quote]

Phantom is switchable for individual channels on all but the most basic mixers. So the sound crew (provided they are competent) shouldn't feed it to you if not needed. If your amp has a transformer DI out, it will ignore phantom.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1510339282' post='3405815']

But that would go to the xlr input for phantom mics as you say not the instrument input on the di box?
[/quote]

You can also get balanced TRS jacks which would plug nicely into an instrument without needing a DI box. :D

Don’t know, we weren’t there, so it’s all guesswork as to exactly what happened.

I was always made to believe one  of the reasons that sound techs preferred a DI box feed was to prevent any problems

should the amp fail?

I have a good XLR DI feed on my GK amp, but send the signal to the desk via a Sansamp for this reason. The Sansamp

is also phantom powered, never had a problem with this ( so far.....). As with pre eq DI feed from the amp, it's good for 

me to be able to eq my sound onstage without affecting out front, although I don't rely on the tone shaping from the 

Sansamp for my 'sound' , just use it for the DI really.