Why become a member? ×

Ibanez GSR - any experience?

T-Bay

I fancy dipping my toe in the fretless world but don't want to spend too much Ibanez do a fretless model of their entry level GSR model for about £220. Does anyone have any experience of this end of their range? Is it worth looking at? They also do the Sr370 in fretless but it's £370 and I really don't like the finish. Any other suggestions? I also wondered about getting a sub£100 second hand cheaply but limited option in fretless basses it seems.

I had looked at those but can't find anywhere with one in stock that close enough for me to have a look at. They always seem to get good reviews from what I have read on here. At that money it's not the end of the world and from them I could send it back f it's terrible I suppose.

Do Ibanez even make a bad bass?

I've no experience of the GSR but while I don't get on with the tight spacing on their 5 strings they all feel great to me.

I was looking for a toe in the water fretless 5 and went for the Harley Benton Progressive. For about 130 quid I have no complaints other than that they ship it with roundwounds. One set of Fender flats and a little tweak and it's a nice instrument to play. Pretty decent range of tones too. Maybe a little noise when active is engaged if you turn the treble up... but who does that really. I only did it to test.

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1509097088' post='3396550']
Do Ibanez even make a bad bass?

I've no experience of the GSR but while I don't get on with the tight spacing on their 5 strings they all feel great to me.

I was looking for a toe in the water fretless 5 and went for the Harley Benton Progressive. For about 130 quid I have no complaints other than that they ship it with roundwounds. One set of Fender flats and a little tweak and it's a nice instrument to play. Pretty decent range of tones too. Maybe a little noise when active is engaged if you turn the treble up... but who does that really. I only did it to test.
[/quote]
Thanks, as I said above I have only heard good things about the Harley Benton range, I have a cheapy Ibanez TMB30 I bought after reading reviews on here and it's a cracker of a short scale bass, maybe a little lacking at the bottom end but maybe that's because I usually play a Thunderbird. I was in PMT on Wednesday hoping to try out the Ibanez but they didn't have it in stock, all the ones I tried were on roundwounds which the guys working there commented on.