Why become a member? ×

I'm guessing the answer is yes.

thebeat

[quote name='Geek99' post='324477' date='Nov 7 2008, 08:40 PM']dont think so, they are placed as a sub division of the intended scale elgnth, I think [i]some [/i]of them will be in tune.[/quote]

I was about to confidently write plus one here.....

but after a lot of head scratching I think Protium's right, because what ever the intended scale length was, if the bridge ends up being that far from the nut then all the frets [i]should[/i] all be in tune..... I think

unless of course the 20 fret neck was made by [name removed (well it would have been if I'd had the balls to write it here in the first place!)] cough cough :)

[size=1]EDITED: because my bonkers computer posted this twice before I'd even started writing my post![/size]

Edited by bassmandan

If the 20th fret is in the same place relative to the bridge as the 20th fret was on the 22 fret neck then it'll be fine. Or to put it another way, if the bolt holes are in the same place relative to the frets on each neck then it'll be fine. Or another way, if the distance from 12th fret to bridge is about 17" then you'll be ok.

Do Fender basses with more frets just have a longer fingerboard but the same neck length / bolt position? (Asks the man who's never owned a Fender-alike...)

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='324517' date='Nov 7 2008, 09:29 PM']If the 20th fret is in the same place relative to the bridge as the 20th fret was on the 22 fret neck then it'll be fine. Or to put it another way, if the bolt holes are in the same place relative to the frets on each neck then it'll be fine. Or another way, if the distance from 12th fret to bridge is about 17" then you'll be ok.

Do Fender basses with more frets just have a longer fingerboard but the same neck length / bolt position? (Asks the man who's never owned a Fender-alike...)

Alex[/quote]

Fender basses have extended boards.

The bridge on the bass is approx 17 inches from the 12th but i still cant get the bugger to intonate....guess i'm gonna have to get another 22 fret neck from somewhere....this is turning out to be one of theose 'cheap projects' that end up costing bings.

It's not rocket science :) The 12th fret needs to be halfway between the nut and the bridge (or some nominal centre point on the bridge it being adjustable). It's not about absolute measurements though it's abut dividing up the strings and the frets are positioned to divide up the intended scale length. That is on a 34" scale the 12th fret is 17" from the nut AND the bridge (or it should be). As long as that is the case or made to be the case then you are laughing. So, what I'm saying is make sure YOUR nut to 12th measurement is the same as the 12th to bridge. What do you mean it doesn't intonate? Are you running out of travel on the bridge saddles? If so, you know you need to shift the bridge. The other thing is that you might end up with the pickups in a bad place and it sounds rubbish.

Edited by thepurpleblob

All the factors say that this bass should be easy to intonate, but as suggested above, the bridge has run out of adjustment. I don't really want to move the bridge as then i lose the string thru option...as it is the intonation is not bang on but it's playable enough for a hack like me.

As for the reason for putting a 20 fret neck on a body that had a 22 fret neck...i don't have a 22 fret neck...but i do have a 20 fret neck. Its an American Deluxe jazz body in Olympic white Pearl that i picked up cheap on Ebay. I've just wired it as passive but might go active later.

Bit late, but I just bought a 21 fret neck for a 20-fret Jazz. Today I just shifted the bridge towards the nut and intonated. No worries!!!!

Mine's also a cheapo jobby. The neck was 40 quid and the bass 200. I thought I could either source a new neck or just make do. Cheap's cheap. Not fussed about visable screw holes or anything, so job's a good'un!!