Why become a member? ×

Fender precision bass noir 2017 bridge

eddie1984

You can borrow my sliding radius pillar drill to do it if you ask nicely! :D

Already done my Telecaster and a P Bass belonging to a pal. Both turned out well and it's MUCH easier than doing it by (wobbly) hand

Oh and on my old Mexican P it already had the thru string holes in the bridge so you may get lucky. Have you had a really thorough check to make sure the holes arent already there? If not just about everyone makes aftermarket bridges in either vintage or modern hole spacing.

I hear about this modification and see some builders are incorporating string-through as a feature but I don't understand it fully not having first hand experience with any instrument strung that way.

What do you notice most after you change to string-through anchorage? Is it meant to give you better sustain or is it more than that?

On my telecaster copy (Wingfield Wall of Sound) through stringing was the final link in the chain. Bought it for £80 brand new because the neck profile was superb and it didnt sound bad acoustically.
A friend gave me a set of custom shop reissue pickups and I remade the neck pocket for a better fit, but there was still something missing.
A 3 block thru hole bridge did the trick. Sounds like a very decent tele for a total outlay of £150 including the (used) pillar drill!

However my 62 reissue P Bass is not set up for thru hole and I don't plan on drilling it!

Seriously, I rang around pretty much every luthier in my area (cambridgeshire) and none of them had a pillar drill with a wide enough throat to do the holes for thru stringing, so if anyone local wants to borrow it for a quick drill, PM me.