Why become a member? ×

Entwistle Variations

cytania

How much did John Entwistle of the Who vary the lines he played over the years. I sat down at the weekend to work on 'I Can See For Miles', not only did I find myself playing different things from the official tab but watching various Who clips on YouTube I saw Entwistle departing from the beaten track. Is this common for Who basslines?

I would say yes as he did seem to improvise a lot, especially live. I believe Stuart Clayton has been studying his style in order to write a book on the Ox ( [url="http://www.basslinepublishing.com"]http://www.basslinepublishing.com[/url] )so hopefully he can give a more educated answer :)

Cheers
alun

Edited by Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='321362' date='Nov 3 2008, 09:43 PM']I would say yes as he did seem to improvise a lot, especially live.[/quote]

So in the studio he always played the same?

The Ox's basslines always seem different on every recording of every who song I've heard. The melodies are the same - but there's always a difference, subtle or blindingly obvious somewhere or other.

It's one of the reasons I'm a big fan. I never "learn" my own basslines either!

[quote name='cytania' post='322994' date='Nov 5 2008, 09:29 PM']Just found the Faber version of Substitute whilst being a laudable attempt to play it open with one finger is way off the Entwistle. That new book can't come too soon.[/quote]

Glad to hear someone say that. I only recently found out that Faber had done an Entwistle book as well. Fortunately, theirs only has 8 songs in, whereas mine has 20. My book also has a full biog, bassography etc etc. I have been studying Entwistle's style for a while now, and it's been quite a revalation. Lot of cool techniques!

Anyway, I better get on with writing it...

Stu

And mine!

Entwistle was notorious for incredible OTT embellishments in his live performance, particularly in songs like 'I Can't Explain' and the famous 'Won't Get Fooled Again'. I suspect I Can See For Miles is something similar, despite being one of his simplest lines in the studio. I'm not sure I've heard the version you refer to though, maybe a link would help us see right through the haze?*

* - I absolutely HAD to :)

Hi Stu, you need have no fear of the Faber book. My copy is filling up with penciled corrections. Don't know if they used software analysis to create it's tabs but even where the lines are pretty right there are mistakes of the 'play tight then fly up the neck for one note then back again' variety. There is even a draft notation left in 'Pictures Of Lily' "suspected error on original - optional: play open D"! The Faber book has no awareness of bass fingering or getting the ringing percussive Entwistle sound. Perhaps the author is a virtuoso and can make his tab stand up with skilled phrasing. More likely it was tabbed by a guitarist ;-)

'I Can See For Miles' - the Hal Leonard version treats the verses as one note exercises, none of the brooding build up. Faber gets some likely open E G action then treats the 'miles and miles and miles' as open E which I can't believe is ever going to give the tight energy it needs...