Why become a member? ×

Switching between fingerstyle and pick

TomRandles97

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1501829451' post='3347575']
I only rarely use a pick, and when I do it is way quieter. I'm going to suggest something completely different to all the above. You are, like me, probably playing too hard fingers style. I dig in big time. I know I'm not supposed to, have read up on the theory, and have even practiced turning up and playing more gently. I just can't stick to it, and quickly get back to digging in.
[/quote]

Definitely true of me, especially live (go full Geddy at times). But this last gig was Americana/blues/country stuff and I was playing pretty lightly with fingers when I noticed the difference. Cheers though, it's something to bear in mind in future though

I'm thinking EQ could be a potential solution. Since fingers obviously give a rounder tone I'm guessing the stronger fundamental is giving the illusion of higher volume, compared to a pick.

I do both, and I've never noticed a volume drop either way with any bass. I always use the same pick (.88 Jim Dunlops), have done for eeee bah gum years (35+) so I guess I've just subconsciously adjusted, and over the years (decades, eeek :( ), it's become completely natural. I change between pick and fingers precisely to achieve a different sound, so I rarely have to adjust the EQ more than a touch.