Why become a member? ×

New Laney Nexus SLS, little powerful fella?

karlfer

49 minutes ago, Aliwobble said:

Why thank you for admiring my bass collection.  Is two basses really a collection.  Maybe I need more . . . 😋

Haha: two is phenomenally restrained.

A J-bass, and of course a P (or PJ), a fretless, EUB, 5er if you only have 4 strings (or vice versa), a 6er  ('cos it would be rude not to), an 8 (or 12) for fun and that bass that you've always wanted ('cos you're worth it).

I make that 8 for a "proper" stable of basses. Oh dear I'm clearly missing one... 😂

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/01/2019 at 06:22, tobiewharton said:

Tried an SLS in PMT recently and was really impressed. Amazing feature set and sounded great. Put together nicely as well. Found one s/h on eBay and should be here next week. Will update with anything notable, beyond the published the specs. 

Cheers, 

Tobie

How did you get on?

• 1 year later...

I trialled a few of the small transistor amps, including Darkglass, Markbass etc. and they all left me a bit underwhelmed. 

Then I tried out the Laney SLS through the Laney Nexus 210 cabinet and I really liked it, bought it but didn't have a cab until I bought a s/h Bergantino 112 from this board at the weekend.

This amp gives me some great sounds. It comes with a decent reverb/chorus,  compressor and a good degree of subtle distortion with the gain cranked to 70% and volume down from the tube pre-amp.  I've fiddled for a couple of hours now and I'm very pleased with it.  Because the effects are built in there's a lot of convenience and no need for cables. The footswitch/remote looks a bit limited, but inexpensive. 

My only beef with it is the somewhat garish product design but I can live with that.  Hoping to find some time at the weekend to try out some of the recording features and see how that sounds.  

• Thanks 1