Why become a member? ×

Unusual Wal Custom

p90fool

Hi all, I'm a new member here but a long-standing member of a few guitar forums. I am a guitar player, but I've played bass for around half of the bands I've gigged with over the last 38 years, indeed that's how I started.

My interest has been rekindled this year because a hand injury in February prevents me from playing a few chord shapes on guitar, but my (honestly rather pedestrian) bass playing is unaffected and I'm thoroughly enjoying the change.

Anyway, long story short, here's my Wal, it's an early Custom fretless with paddle headstock, and what I think is a walnut body with maple stripes and no veneer. I bought it used in early '82, it has no label in the control cavity and has the serial number PB1813. Some sort of Custom prototype maybe? I've never seen another without veneer body facings.

I wonder if the previous owner is a member here and knows more about it? I never actually met them, I was away gigging in the spring/summer of '82 and sent my girlfriend of the time to collect it, or perhaps some of the Wal experts on here might have a little info in it.

[attachment=249527:wal.jpg]

Hi and welcome to the lowend.
Nice bass and you must be doing ok if you go fretless :)

No idea about your bass but can post a link to the Wal data bass for you (if you haven't seen it before)
Sure someone will have some info for you
http://www4.cs.fau.de/~koesters/Privat/Wal/walspec.html

Very nice bass. Yes they do come in solid wood bodies, so that looks like a regular mk1 Custom.

Sorry to hear about your hand injury. The only 2 guitarists I know of who had hand injuries and developed great and unique styles around those problems, were Tommy Iommi and Django Reinhardt. Good luck for your recovery to guitar playing greatness.

Ah, that's interesting to see. It's almost the mirror image of mine, PB1805, which also has the paddle headstock, and no label in the cavity:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4aut8983jh1zilf/Wal.jpg?dl=0

They must have been built together, around 1980 I think. Certainly very early Custom models.

Wow @pineweasel, I've never seen one so similar to mine in all the years I've owned it! I have a nice letter from Pete somewhere after he changed the worn volume pot, where he describes it as one of the first circuits of that type they made.