Why become a member? ×

Epiphone Eb0 Bass

byrne182

They are fun basses but probably not what most people would call great basses but i think they are pretty decent for the price,they are not as deep sounding as the Gibson Eb0,tuners are junk but these components that can be swapped out if you don't mind spending a little on upgrades,

I had a bog standard one, and it sounds great out of the bag. They normally get sold and bought around the same price, so as long as you're not spending more than £150 at most on a used one, then you'll be easily able to sell it again if you dont like it. I preferred it over the EB3 bass (longer scale, extra pickup)

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1499891987' post='3334409']
They were probably a bass that was designed for guitar players converting.
[/quote]

If I recall the history I've read, it might be more accurate to say that they became popular with guitar players who were converting! It seems that guitar manufacturers quickly converged on one of two different scale lengths - 34" or 30-1/4". I'm not so sure about the latter, but I've heard it widely said that Leo Fender's decision to go with 34" was somewhat arbitrary.

In any case, whilst Fender turned out 34" models almost exclusively, Gibson stuck resolutely to a 30-1/4" design. I don't know if this was driven by the tone, making the instrument easier to play, or just to differentiate themselves from Fender, but any long-scale variants tended to be exceptions in Gibson's bass catalogue, rather than the norm. Until they released the first Thunderbirds, anyway.

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1500483356' post='3338182']
I thought the thunderbirds were slightly shorter scale, not 30 1/2 but like 33 or something.
[/quote] My understanding is that they are slightly longer scale, 34.5 but they advertise them as 34" scale although I am sure ther was a 30" short scale variant around briefly too

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1500549975' post='3338615']
My understanding is that they are slightly longer scale, 34.5 but they advertise them as 34" scale although I am sure ther was a 30" short scale variant around briefly too
[/quote]

Might have to go and measure mine, now you mention it - I'm not sure if it's just the way they sit on a strap, but my T-bird and SG both feel like they're a longer scale than my Fender-style basses!

And yes, there was indeed a run of short-scale Thunderbirds. Never seen one in the flesh and I don't know how popular they were, but they do exist!