Why become a member? ×

Learning a lot of songs

joeystrange

1 hour ago, StringNavigator said:

I'm also learning a new band set-list of 31 songs. I have my own process and follow a checklist, but I'm finding the advice here to be useful/interesting. So... OP, how did it work out?  

It worked out great!

They actually cut down what I had to learn slightly, which was good.

Started by listening to the 25 songs for the set on the way to/from work for a week or so then spent some time working them out and playing through the set by myself. That was for maybe 6 weeks then started rehearsing with the band at that point and played the first gig a couple of months later.

When I started rehearsing with the band I started the same process for 25 new songs that we were to record early this year.

I’m stil in the band so I guess it worked out alright!

I had fun learning all of their old bass player’s parts too, which made the whole process easier.

• Like 1

I get that. It was just that the bass player decided he was going to leave at the end of the year and since they were on good terms (he still plays in another band with our singer and drummer) everyone agreed to it.

They actually gave him the boot a bit earlier than that, in the end, when they decided they liked me and wanted me to start playing gigs as soon as possible.

As others have said, the key is prioritise. You wouldnt need to have to learn 60 songs straight off even if you were joining Quo. Get their regular (or planned for the next batch of gigs after you take over) set list and then after those are sorted start working on their back catalog as and when it becomes necessary for future work. They are unlikely to ask you to go in and re record the original bass players parts on their previous releases so it's th elive work and future recording work that are the priority.