Why become a member? ×

expanding my sound with the use of a phaser

unimpressed alf

this time last year i wasnt into the idea of using effects on the bass at all - then i got a big muff for xmas...

i had an old dod envelope filter knocking about which i had 'borrowed' from a mate and tried using that before the big muff and found that it sounds absolutley filthy! - so that was my sound for the last year...

a couple of weeks ago i invested EHX bass microsynth after reading the live drum and bass thread - i was after some kind of synth pedal anyroad and that one seemed to not have anything bad said about it!

ATM ive got 1 loop which goes envelope filter>big muff and another loop for the BMS

what i was thinking was having a phaser (or some other kind of oscillating effect - any thoughts?) to go after the BMS - the reason i was thinking this is because once the filter has opened/closed on the BMS the sound stops being so 'exciting' so i figured having a phaser after it would keep the sound interesting once the filters have finished doing their job

what do you guys think to that? any suggestions on which phaser would work best? i was thinking small stone/boss phase shifter or that little orange one (cant remember its name!) but from what i gather thatd need modding to make it sound good

thinking about adding a phaser to my 'board' (i dont actually have a board for my pedles yet) led me to wonder if there was a way of having the phaser in such a way that it comes after the BMS but also before the big muff - at the same time - using something like a boss line selector. i dont want to have to be jumping around on individual pedals, so would like to be able to leave all the pedals activated and use line selectors to bring in different effects loops, this would be preferable esp as the BMS sucks the tone when its in bypass mode. the other thing to bear in mind is that the BMS running through the big muff doesnt actually sound any good (disapointingly) so the muff and the synth would need to kept separate...

i spent about an hour thinking about this yesterday and nearly came up with the answer but then realised that in having the phaser running after the synth it was then running through the envelope filter and big muff - in which case i would potentialy have to be jumping all over my pedals to switch between the different sounds...

any of you guys up for puzzling that one out??

sorry for the epic post but ive been thinking about this quite alot recently...

cheers in advance!!

Frankly, I think your giving this way too much thought and it might be easier for you to pick up a cheap phaser (http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30476&hl=) and figure out some kind of order that works for you and your ears.

Its all well and fine other folk giving you their two cents, but its really relative (and no where near as much fun!) so give it a go and see where you get from it.

Filters sound better after fuzz IMHO, although you don't get quite the same precise control over the filter. Chorus works really well after this type of sound as can phasers and flangers. And delay! Might be worth pickng up a a second hand Zoom B2 multi fx or something so you can try out all of these fx and more.

well iv just picked up a pigtronix envelope phaser pedal, and have to say im very impressed with it. it has the mod done to it so you can have the phaser and filter on at the same time, and to contradict what someone else has wrote in this thread, it works superbly. The filter has a very good feature; it has a seperate trigger jack, so that the envelope can be triggered by your clean bass sound, but will modulate your effected sound, for example i have my signal split, clean bass going into the trigger jack on the pigtronix, and then my clean signal going into effects and then into the pigtronixs' main input. so when a fuzz pedal is on, the envelope is triggered by the clean bass signal, but applies the effect to the fuzz, and thus sounds brilliant with no dynamics lost. Bloody brilliant. im not sure how many other filters have a feature like this!

sorry bit OT there, but yeah i think phasers work great with filters, not sure which way round the chain is in the pigronix, but i imagine the phaser is after the filter :) alternativly get the pigtronix! i imagine it would work fantastically with the BMS when triggered by your clean bass signal, although its a bit pricey so depends on your budget

Edited by BassManKev

i have to say that i do like the idea of a phaser with a side chain so that i can plug a cheap mic into the sidechain and stick the mic inside the drummers kick drum... that would be fun!!

unfortunatley my budget/wife says no to that kind of expensive thing - especially as i spent £169 of the BMS last month and xmas is looming over us...

i did have a play with the boss phase shifter at the local (formally known as) soundcontrol - putting it both before and after the BMS and there was definatly some interesting results - some completely unusable sounds, some really crazy sounds and some absolutley cool as f*** sounds - its hard to describe but id kinda say that the phaser makes the BMS sound like a more contempory digital synth rather than the old style analogue synth that it is meant to emulate. i wouldnt say that one sound is better than the other but that digital synthy sound is definalty an extra colour id like in my pallette

i would quite like to go back there and try out some more toys before i make any decisions tho - maybe a 15 quid behringer would do the trick?? who knows...