Why become a member? ×

I think I am in love!

Yukimajou

I have just found the ultimate expression of my current GAS (in the right colour as well!). I don't suppose anyone has 4 grand they don't need and an altruistic nature do they? Anyway here is the object of my affection, [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOX-JMI-1962-PHANTOM-IV-FANG-BASS-MADE-IN-ENGLAND-BEAUTIFUL-BLACK-/112410473577?hash=item1a2c2fb469:g:b1UAAOSwcBhWUaw0"]a 1962 UK built Vox Phantom[/url] in great condition:

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1495112714' post='3301365']
I think I might have one of these in my attic somewhere.

If I can find a box, would you like it?

:P
[/quote]

It's a very kind offer, but I am thoroughly skint at the moment. Even £40 for a gig bag for my T'bird is out of the question at the moment. :(

I'm old enough to remember these from the 60's. I believe they were made in Italy for Vox, but thought the quality was not very good, a bit better than the Rossetti Lucky 7 but not as good as a Hofner! I suspect the modern version, even if made in China ( or elsewhere in Asia) may be better. They do look cool though, the late Brian Jones of theStones famously used the guitar version and Hilton Valentine of the Animals used the 12 string version before he got his Rick 12. I wonder if the neck dive is still as bad.

I have had a look on GAK and unsurprisingly it's out of stock, but it does say that it's a short scale, whereas an original on [url="https://www.wunjoguitars.com/shop/bass-guitars/vox-phantom-bass"]Wunjo Guitars' website[/url] is listed as 34". Can anyone confirm this please? If it is actually a short scale bass, I'll have to get a divorce before the affair even begins. I have arms like an orangutan and get on well with short scale basses.

Have a look at voxshowroom.com where you'll find an article about it. The bass player of Paul Revere and the Raiders who were Vox endorses had one and says the neck was awful. He e rntually took the neck off and replaced it with a Fender neck to make it playable. There's another for sale in the US for a tad over £1700, bit cheaper than the eBay one.