Why become a member? ×

Fender USA Jazz

Fasttrevor

It's a USA standard I play and I had a mexican one before that - always found them very quiet, had equivalent p basses which were louder by comparison but otherwise it's been active basses like stingrays which are obviously gonna be louder - I reply only to say I agree with you, it's kind of annoying I feel like I'm pushing my amp more with this bass even though it's probably not the case!

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1493883128' post='3291447']
As implied in Conan's post, you get significant phase cancellation when both pickups are wide open. That's one of the 'Jazz sounds'. The front pickup is way louder than both of them combined.
[/quote]

If you back off the bridge pickup a smidge (experiment to find how much is best), you get the combined sound, but with more oomph.

If the volume drops SEVERELY with both volumes up full though, one of the pickups is probably out of phase and either needs flipping round physically or the wires swapping round. I bought a Squier Jazz that sounded weak with both pups on until I fixed it!