Why become a member? ×

Right hand finger technique

KingPrawn

For many many years I've been using my index, middle and ring finger to play. Often its my index and ring finger. Initially i moved to this as a kid because Billy Sheehan had that shred thing going on. As time went on i realised my index and ring finger are the same length so my playing style was much straighter/flatter than my index and middle finger, which as my middle finger is about 10mm longer, meant i had to place my hand at quite an angle to play consistently with my index and middle finger. Ive found that using index and ring finger means my middle finger is free and poised to move to the next string really quickly. Any one else experienced this or uses this technique? ( please someone say yes or ill have to leave BS)

My middle finger is at least 10mm longer than forefinger , maybe a bit more, but i still mainly use forefinger and middle, only occasionally using ring finger, but only if its an easy shot

What i do is mainly play E and A with forefinger and middle respectively, if both strings are required quickly between each other, and the same if i have to move to A and D, then D and G

May not work for everyone but it works for me

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='KingPrawn' timestamp='1493670499' post='3289893']
For many many years I've been using my index, middle and ring finger to play. Often its my index and ring finger. Initially i moved to this as a kid because Billy Sheehan had that shred thing going on. As time went on i realised my index and ring finger are the same length so my playing style was much straighter/flatter than my index and middle finger, which as my middle finger is about 10mm longer, meant i had to place my hand at quite an angle to play consistently with my index and middle finger. Ive found that using index and ring finger means my middle finger is free and poised to move to the next string really quickly. Any one else experienced this or uses this technique? ( please someone say yes or ill have to leave BS)
[/quote]

Kinda! I use index and middle for alternate plucking, while ring mutes the next higher-pitched string (and thumb mutes the next lower string, or is anchored on the pickup or elsewhere). When moving up a string (eg A to D) the ring finger (already resting on the D string) makes the first pluck, then index and middle subsequently take over alternate plucking, and thumb comes to rest on the A string. If descending a string (eg D to A), just rake from the index or middle plucker and shift the whole shape down.

[quote name='KingPrawn' timestamp='1493670499' post='3289893']
[/quote]

(No. Please leave your B[u]S[/u] in a plain brown paper bag on the doorstep of B[u]C[/u], light it, ring the bell and run away.)

Yes. It makes good mechanical sense to take advantage of your own natural dimensions. Two main advantages are comfort and efficiency. Both of these things help your sound.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1493716038' post='3290040']
I use floating thumb, and mostly index and middle. However, sometimes my ring feels left out and joins in the fun without my conscious knowledge or consent.
[/quote]

[attachment=244470:FinbarrSaunders.png]