Why become a member? ×

Simulating Octave Down

Stylon Pilson

So here's something that's been on my mind lately. You know how when we play an open E, we're not actually hearing much of the 41Hz fundamental, however the harmonic content is sufficient for the brain to interpret it as an open E? Would it be possible to process that existing tone in some way, without actually adding any lower frequencies, to trick the ear/brain into thinking that it's actually hearing a note that's an octave lower? Has anyone made a pedal that does this?

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1493372709' post='3287813']
So here's something that's been on my mind lately. You know how when we play an open E, we're not actually hearing much of the 41Hz fundamental, however the harmonic content is sufficient for the brain to interpret it as an open E? Would it be possible to process that existing tone in some way, without actually adding any lower frequencies, to trick the ear/brain into thinking that it's actually hearing a note that's an octave lower? Has anyone made a pedal that does this?

S.P.
[/quote]

Not sure if this answers your question but if you fret a note (let's say a Low G - 3rd fret on the E string) and attack the note over the octave above (15th fret on the E string, over the fret) it produces the low note and a suboctave at the same time. Maybe playing everything in a higher register using this technique would produce the effect you're after?

I'm not sure if I described that properly but this video shows a good example. Skip to 3:37 :-)

http://youtu.be/WI5Eg5Whu-8

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1493372709' post='3287813']

S.P.
[/quote]

I use the TC Sub'N'Up Octave pedal that can just produce the octave below E note. I'm sure the TonePrint editor could tweak to perfection for your needs?

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1493399939' post='3288119']
Yeah I use that technique all the time, so was fun to hear Michael talk about it :).
Got it from Ryan Martinie yeaaarrrsss ago.
Combine it with an octave down pedal for biiig low end

Si
[/quote]

Funnily enough, me too! Couldn't find a link to it easily though and I watched that League vid the other day so knew it was definitely in there!