Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Decisons...

PVTele

As a lead guitarist returning to bass after many years, I'm faced with deciding how to spend my very limited funds on an outfit suitable for blues, modern worship and contemporary Christian. I've pretty nearly decided on a Squier Vintage Modifed Jazz Bass - but does anyone have any startling insights into what else I ought to try before I make the plunge?

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='315213' date='Oct 26 2008, 05:21 PM']Have a look round for a Yamaha BB614 as well.[/quote]

Good shout, OTPJ! I've jammed with a guy who plays one of those, and it sounds excellent. I've played an RBX, and was very impressed by the feel. If the BB feels as good, then it's a definite contender, sounding the way it does.

Thanks very much for the heads-up :)

[quote name='Geek99' post='315511' date='Oct 27 2008, 07:35 AM']I'd stil go with the VMJ - I very, very seriously looked at one, before I bought a Fender CIJ jazz off OldGit. Reidys do VMJs cheaply.[/quote]

I'm tending that way too, Geek99. I'm very impressed with Squier lately. I've a fairly recent Squier Standard Tele that's just a darn good Tele, no apologies. One of the few guitars I've bought new, and I haven't even been tempted to upgrade bits, either. It just works, and sounds lovely. The neck's a dream, better than many "real" Fender Telecasters worth 3 or 4 times as much. Anyway, the VMJ's just a very pretty bass, period :)

squiers are very nice, particularly the vm's but...for what my opinion is worth and of course, being biased, yamaha make superb basses. the bb series are far better than the vm's - yamaha's build quality is staggering and again, for me, unsurpassed both in construction materials and electronics used. quality control system is superb!

Edited by andy67

Anyone here know Indie basses? Their 6-string guitars are workmanlike, and the ones that aren't Fender, Gibson or PRS copies are interestingly designed, quite well built, and have their own sound. The basses look nice in pictures, and seem to have decent (e.g. Wilkinson) hardware... anyone have any experience?

[quote name='andy67' post='315731' date='Oct 27 2008, 12:53 PM']squiers are very nice, particularly the vm's but...for what my opinion is worth and of course, being biased, yamaha make superb basses. the bb series are far better than the vm's - yamaha's build quality is staggering and again, for me, unsurpassed both in construction materials and electronics used. quality control system is superb![/quote]

I hear you regarding Yamaha build quality, Andy. The RBX I played for the evening wasn't a bass I'd have have chosen, just on personal preference, but it was astonishingly well-made for a relatively inexpensive instrument. I was very impressed by the feel and playability...

Just to add I have a Squire VMJ and also a Marcus Miller , having bought the Miller I thought I would have moved the VMJ on by now but I have to say I haven't yet , every time I pick it up it plays so well that I think " no I need to keep this one "

Saying that , the suggestion of the yamaha's is a good one, I always think they are great value , and offer a lot for the money, in fact I'm thinking of picking up a cheap Yamaha 5 string myself some time .

Good Luck

Nigel not Bob !