Why become a member? ×

Hi all from Cumbria, UK

Peter Train

Hi
I'ive been playing bass for just short of 2 years and now meet weekly with some friends at their cafe to play together.

I have a cheap fender p bass copy made by ALBA that I bought second hand and an Ashdown five fifteen amp that is great for playing with other people.

The bass seems to play OK to me but I'd like to get something a bit better and I'm thinking of an Ibanez SR300 as it had a good write up.

Pete

[quote name='Peter Train' post='314290' date='Oct 25 2008, 12:31 AM']Hi
I'ive been playing bass for just short of 2 years and now meet weekly with some friends at their cafe to play together.

I have a cheap fender p bass copy made by ALBA that I bought second hand and an Ashdown five fifteen amp that is great for playing with other people.

The bass seems to play OK to me but I'd like to get something a bit better and I'm thinking of an Ibanez SR300 as it had a good write up.

Pete[/quote]

Hi Pete

welcome to the fun...anything you need to know just ask.
As far as gear goes have a look in the review section or stick a general thread in the basses forum to pick our brains, there are very few basses that someone on here won't have owned at some time or other.
Most basses are playable, and most sound ok...its all in the fingers .
You will probably find a better amp will improve your bass sound, and better pickups from the standard Alba ones will make a huge difference.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='315254' date='Oct 26 2008, 06:12 PM']I play with a few guys in Penrith. Looking to maybe gig in the New Year, if we can get our act together :)

I know Staverely fairly well too. Do you get lessons antwhere?

If you ever want to get together give me a shout :huh:

Peter[/quote]

I had lessons from a Guy called Paul Everson who works at the Lakes School and is a really good player and teacher. He has his own band that is booked up most weekends. I've not had lessons for a few months since Paul got married and I want on holiday wth my family, but I plan to start agin in the future.

I work in Penrith and travel up there and back daily.

[quote name='PVTele' post='319828' date='Nov 1 2008, 09:16 PM']Hi Peter, this is Mike here, all the way from damp distant Dorset! I love Cumbria, though haven't been there for years now. I'd looked at the Ashdown Five Fifteen myself, looking for a medium amp for worship gigs etc. - how do you get on with it?[/quote]

I'm pleased with it as it replaced a 15 watt practive amp. I chose it as it was cheap and had a reasonable amount of power so I could play with guitarist mates using 30 - 40 watt amps. It works well when we play together and has only basic tones.

On the down side, it is quite heavy to carry round and it only has basic tone controls but as I say I'm very happy with it and I would buy it again as I've not seen anything better at that price.

I have seen a second hand one cheaper on the gear pages of basschat.

Pete

Not too woolly, Peter? My only worry with a single 15" and no horn is it might sound as if it were full of (Cumbrian?) sheep... I do like a bit of top end, but I can't seem to find a 2x10 or such in that price range - except I might give the Fender Rumble 210 a listen too...