Why become a member? ×

OLP rescued from an early grave

rushbo

Well, I finally came close to one of those "Car Boot sale '59 Precision" moments. Whilst idly browsing on Shpock, I came across an interesting ad - a guy about a mile away from me, selling a worse for wear OLP bass and an equally tired and emotional Washburn BT9. I shot round and £60 later, they were both mine. The Washburn polished up nicely (after I replaced a pot and scraped off a layer of rattlecan white paint, that is...) It now resides in Seattle, with a very happy new owner. I had plans for the OLP...

[attachment=242334:Electric-Guitar-and-Bass.jpg]
[attachment=242335:Electric-Guitar-and-Bass-64cc3416.jpg]

I've used Tru Oil before on some bass necks and always got great results. My plan was to strip off the glutenous yellow gloopy lacquer on the OLP and use the oil to get a satin finish. I had a lovely afternoon of sanding merrily away until all the noxious stuff was off, revealing a nice piece of wood (well, two actually) After about 9 coats of Tru Oil and a bit of light sanding between coats, I got a really tasty satin finish. Lovely and smooth and natural. Similarly, the neck got treated and finished with some 00000 grade wire wool which has left a superfast, frictionless finish.

I put on my trademark "comedy" headstock decal - not a bad job.
[attachment=242337:headstock.png]

I'd got some new/old hardware for it - a set of tuners from a Mexi Fender, a new pup and an Ebay scratchplate. Tuners were great - it turns out that they were reversible, so I could switch the "G" tuner round. Ace. The plate needed a bit of modification to get it to fit, but nothing my Maplins "Dremel" couldn't cope with. The pup was an issue. Wiring is not my forté. Even after getting advice from the Tech-heads here, I still couldn't get it to behave. I got close, but one pot ran in the opposite direction to the others. That's not right, is it? I gave up and took it my local fixer-upper, who did a bang up job and put in proper pots and wired it in series. As a diehard P Bass man, I mistrust anything with more than two knobs, so the redundant volume knob has been converted to a DFA.

Does it sound like a Musicman? Well, sort of. A lovely aggressive twangy noise. I splashed out on a set of those £6 Ashdown 40-100 Roundwounds which are doing a decent job, too.

I love it. It looks and sounds ace and I've saved it from the bonfire. Job done.

[attachment=242338:real whole.png]

[attachment=242339:whole.png]

Why do I never find such bargains? lol
Great news though - glad you've saved that OLP
And you've done a great job on it too

EDIT: Also meant to say, I really like the touch with your "comedy" decal / logo - Fab

Edited by Marc S